Formerly City College Brighton and Hove and Northbrook College

Course fees and financial support

No course fees

UK and EU students do not have to pay fees as long as they are aged under 19 on 31 August in the year they are studying.
Note that for some courses, you may have to buy specialist equipment or protective clothing. 

If you are aged 19 or over, please visit our 19+ fees and finance page, as you may still be eligible for fee remissions, loans or discounts.

16-19 year-olds can apply for the additional financial support:

Travel assistance

Stagecoach buses – A College Unirider ticket could save around £160 per annum and can be purchased via the website An unlimited 7-day travel ticket is also available if you hold a 3-in-1 card. 

Brighton and Hove buses - BusID cards entitles you to half price fares. They are free to young people aged 5-18 who are permanent residents in the Brighton & Hove area or near one of the Brighton and Hove bus routes in East or West Sussex.

Compass buses - People aged 16 to 19 inclusive who are in full-time education are entitled to 25% off standard fares on production of an appropriate ID card. Acceptable forms of ID are Citizencards and Sussex Student Cards. 

Unizone – If you hold an NUS Extra card you may be able to get cheaper travel by purchasing a Unizone card. Ask at your local station for details or visit

Young Persons Railcard – If you are aged 16-25, this card will give you a third off your fare if you use it after 10.00am, or before if the tickets cost more than £12. You will get a 10% discount by purchasing the railcard online. 

Travel grant – Travel grants may be available to students who have special needs or who live in Brighton & Hove and come from low income backgrounds. Contact your Local Education Authority for details. 

Sussex Student Card – This card allows you a 34% discount on rail travel when you order your tickets online. 

Travel assistance


Guaranteed Bursary 

If you are in care, a care leaver, in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments AS WELL AS Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit/Income Support in their own right, you will receive £1,200. This will be paid to you in instalments. 

Discretionary Bursary 

For other students with a household income of below £27,000, the bursary can help towards compulsory course costs and travel providing you live more than 2.5 miles from your place of study.

Bursary application form (PDF file to download, print and complete)

Bursary funding guidelines booklet (PDF file)

College meals

If you or your family are in receipt of benefits, you may be entitled to a £2.41 college meal contribution. Please see the 16-18 Bursary guidelines above for more details.

Childcare assistance

Care to Learn – If you are under 20 when you start learning and use registered childcare, you may be able to get assistance with childcare costs and necessary travel costs to and  from your childcare provider. Go to to apply.

NUS Extra

All students aged 16+ can apply for an NUS Extra card. These cards give student discounts in a wide range of high street shops and some online retailers. Cards can be purchased online from

NUS Extra

Low-cost facilities on campus

You can also benefit from: 

  • Cheap haircuts and beauty treatments in the college's training salons at Brighton Central Campus and Worthing Broadwater Campus
  • Low-priced stationery in the College art supplies shops at Brighton Central Campus and Worthing West Durrington Campus
  • Reduced rate or free gym membership at our Brighton East Campus and Worthing Broadwater Campus

Find out more

For more information about financial support of any kind, please contact the Student Financial Support team: 

Brighton MET (Central and East Brighton Campuses):

01273 667788 ext 474 or 394

Northbrook MET (Worthing and Shoreham Campuses):

01903 273140