16+ Open Event Presentations | November 2020

Your questions answered

Missed our open event webinars, or just need a reminder? Below are answers to all the questions posed. Just click on the subject area in which you're interested.

  • Apprenticeships

    What course and apprenticeship would you recommend for a career in construction, not just bricklaying? 

    We have different types of apprenticeships in construction. We have courses in electrical, carpentry and joinery; these are also very popular courses at Level 2 and 3. 

    What campus is the early years curriculum apprentice based at? 

    It is based at our Broadwater campus in Worthing. We also have the full workplace option, where our assessors can come directly out to deliver the apprenticeship in the workplace. 

    What things do I need to think about when deciding between an apprenticeship or full-time BTEC in hospitality when coming straight from school? 

    It depends on whether you have an employer. A BTEC qualification gives you experience in a college environment (although we have professional facilities and closely replicate the industry) and an apprenticeship gives you real life experience in the workplace.

    If you have no experience in hairdressing would it be better to apply for a full-time course or an apprenticeship? 

    The apprenticeship is available to anyone regardless of their experience level, so if you have an employer that will support you through the apprenticeship, please feel free to sign up for one. If you don’t have an employer straight away you can sign up for the full-time course and transfer to an apprenticeship at a later stage. 

    Do you have a list of companies for an engineering apprenticeship? 

    If you email us, we can pass this over to our engineering department to let you know which companies they are currently working with. 

    Which campus is the electrical apprenticeship based at? 

    This is based at our Brighton MET, East Brighton campus. 

    Do you need to have an employer in place before you apply? 

    You can apply to us now, and if you don’t find an employer before you start then we can put you onto the full-time course until we can find you an employer. This can help secure your place on our more popular courses, it is worthwhile getting your registration in and continuing to look for an employer between your application and course start date. 

    For the work based early years apprenticeship, do you spend any days at the College? 

    No you don’t, the skills coach or assessor will come out to you at your workplace. 

    Where, when and how do I apply for an apprenticeship? 

    You can email apprenticeship.team@gbmc.ac.uk and we will send you an application form. If you already have an employer, we will then start the process of contacting them and arranging your apprenticeship. If you don’t already have an employer we will set you up onto a full-time course at the MET first. 

    Do I need to get a job in a nursery before applying? 

    You do need a work placement first if you are doing the work based placement because the apprenticeship will start whenever you are ready. If you are going down the college course route then you can find an employer at a later date. 

    How do you find an early years placement? 

    Some nurseries do advertise through the National Apprenticeship Service, or you can contact them directly to find out if they have any placements available. A lot of nurseries are happy to take on an apprentice, sometimes it’s just a case of picking up the phone and asking. This can apply to any industry, get in touch to express your interest and find out if they can support you through an apprenticeship. There are also lots of incentives for employers at the moment which may encourage them to hire an apprentice. 

    Can you leave the apprenticeship at any time? 

    You can, we can also put you on a break in learning. We do understand that apprenticeships take a long period of time and your circumstances may change within that time. Ideally you should complete the apprenticeship to gain the qualification for the work you have put in. We also understand that due to the current situation with COVID-19, some workplaces have had to close for a long period of time. If you are on furlough there is no need to leave the apprenticeship, we can continue working by setting off-the-job training tasks ensuring that apprentices aren’t negatively affected by the situation. We have had a lot of success over lockdown with apprentices who have found it useful being able to continue their studies whilst they’re not at work. 

    Why does the bricklaying apprenticeship start at Level 2 and not Level 1? 

    Apprenticeship programmes start at Level 2, Level 1 is a full-time course. A lot of students start at Level 1 whilst searching for an employer before moving onto an apprenticeship at Level 2. 

  • Art Design and Media

    Will you be showing us around the building? 

    Although we would very much like to, regrettably we cannot provide onsite tours at the moment. We are continually reviewing the situation and as soon as it’s safe to do so, we will invite students and their parents/carers to visit. In previous years, before Covid-19, we loved showing people around the campus and had amazing open days. We are really proud of the facilities here. As soon as we can provide tours we will, but at the moment we all need to stay safe. 

    What do you look for in a portfolio?

    It depends on the course you are applying for, but for our creative courses we need to see evidence of your creativity. If you are coming from school your portfolio should include your school work and any additional hobbies that you can evidence. For an Art & Design course we would like to see the breadth of your skills, this could be in drawing, painting, printing and/or any other artistic techniques. We will also talk to you about your interests, hobbies and ambitions, so that at your application review meeting we can match you to the course which suits you best. 

    How many additional courses can I take alongside Art?

    Our courses for 16-19 year olds are full-time courses, therefore at the MET you study just one course but in great depth. If you have not yet passed English and maths GCSE with a grade 4 or above, you will also study this alongside your chosen course. Your programme of study will also include tutorial sessions. If you have already passed English and maths, your programme will include time to practise independently. 

    What will the application review meeting be like?

    The application review meeting depends on the courses for which you apply and will involve discussing which course is right for you. At the moment we are looking at digital portfolio submissions and carrying out online meetings in order to ensure social distancing and safeguard everyone. 

    How many hours a week is the Art Foundation course?

    The Art Foundation course is a full time programme, the expectation is that the course runs four days a week. You have twelve core curriculum hours of learning a week, plus an hour of tutorial, the rest of the time is made up of independent directed study, where you will be developing your specialist practice. Due to Covid-19, we are currently delivering the course through blended online and face-to-face learning.

    What is the difference between an Extended Diploma and A Level?

    An extended diploma is vocationally structured, so everything that you do is focused on how you would do it in the workplace. You work with your tutor, who is an industry specialist and not just a teacher, when they are not in College they are developing their knowledge of the industry. A Levels are exam based subjects which build on GCSE study, giving you a taste of what you might be doing in the world of work. The diploma skills are very extensive and in-depth, meaning that you are ready to move into the world of work straight away. 

    Is there a lot of programming on the Games Level 3 courses? 

    Programming is one of the areas that is studied. When students start a games course they look at programming, concept art, games development and many other aspects of it. As students move through the course they find their specific area of interest to focus on and one of those areas is programming, for others it may be 3D rendering, or backgrounds and scenes. Everyone gets a taste of everything and then if programming is ‘your thing’, then you can focus on that. 

    Will there be accommodation support for students on the Art Foundation course? 

    Yes, the student support centre is on hand to help support you identify appropriate accommodation. 

    What is the main difference between the Fashion and Textiles course at Northbrook MET and the new Fashion Design & Business course being introduced at Brighton MET? 

    The Fashion & Textiles course at Northbrook MET is very focused on the creative aspects,  such as designing, making, pattern cutting, printing, surface pattern design etc. Students will put a creative portfolio together in their area of focus. Whilst the Fashion Design & Business course at Brighton MET does cover some elements of design, it also focuses on the business side of fashion which includes; fashion retail, merchandising and how fashion slots into the wider world of business. The fashion course at Brighton MET also works closely with local businesses and industry links to establish business plans and how to set yourself up to work in the fashion industry.  

    Is there an application deadline? 

    No, there is no application deadline. However, we do encourage you to apply for as many courses as you are interested in, as soon as you can, so that you can speak to us at your application review meeting and secure a place on your preferred courses. Then you will have options to choose from when you receive your GCSE results. Applications are now open and you can apply directly via our website. 

    What photography courses do you offer and at what level? 

    We offer photography at Level 3 and foundation level. It is also included in the Level 3 Digital Media Arts and Level 2 Digital Arts. 

    Are there any associated fees to study at the MET? 

    Yes, each course is different depending on the kit and equipment required for the course. Course fee information is available on our website. 

    What should I do if I am not sure which course I want to study? 

    Students can discuss this at their interview to see what course they are likely to prefer, we can put students in touch with tutors to discuss this on an individual basis, to find out which course is right for them. We also suggest applying for more than one course so that you have more than one option when you are ready to enrol. 

  • Beauty Therapy, Complementary Therapies and Media Hair & Makeup

    Do I need a GCSE in an art subject to study the Media Hair & Makeup course?

    No, it isn’t an entry requirement. Anything related to the course does help, so if you are creative and artistic then it will benefit you, however it is a bonus and not a requirement. We require you to have at least three GCSEs at grade 3 or above. Ideally we need you to have passed English and maths GCSE, but if you do not pass these subjects while at school you can re-take them at College as part of your study programme. 

    Do you only have to study English and maths if you have not already passed at GCSE? 

    Yes, you only need to re-take these if you have not already passed with a grade 4 or above at GCSE. If you do not need to take these subjects you will have additional time to practise your chosen subject. 

    Will clear retainers be allowed for nose piercings? 

    Yes, we don’t mind if you remove your piercings. Retainers have to be flat, plastic and clear. 

    If you complete Level 2 Media Hair & Makeup, could you then go onto Level 3 in Hairdressing? 

    No, you would have to go onto Level 2 hairdressing before Level 3 because the subjects do vary. 

    What is the approximate uniform cost and does it have to be worn all the time? 

    The approximate kit and uniform cost is £400, with the Media Hair & Makeup kit costing slightly higher. You can apply for a bursary to help cover these costs. The uniform must be worn during all practical classes, but you don’t need to for a theory class. At the moment the uniform is a tunic, which you can wear with your own black trousers and black shoes. More information will be sent to you with our kit list. 

    How many people are in a class? 

    A maximum of 22-24 students will be in one class. 

    How many days a week will I be attending College? 

    If you are aged between 16-19 years old you are likely to be attending 3 to 4 days a week, your study programme will depend on your course and whether you have already passed English and maths GCSE. If you are over 19, it is generally 2 to 2.5 days in College a week. 

    Will I be practising on other students? 

    During the first term you start working on fellow students because you need to practise and gain experience before working on real clients. We need to ensure you are at a competent standard. It is also really important to experience the service as well for yourself; you learn a lot working in pairs. When you are having a treatment done, you can really observe what the other person is doing, how it feels and it helps you to understand a customer's perspective. As the year progresses, you have assessments on real clients, or friends and family. 

    Are there lots of employment opportunities in the theatre, film and fashion industry if you take Media Hair & Makeup? 

    Yes, our team works in the industry and often provides opportunities for students to help them on set. At the moment due to COVID-19 it is unfortunately a little different but we do give you these opportunities. We also have work experience and industry placements to help you get your foot in the employment door. 

    Do all Level 2 and 3 courses run for one year? 

    Yes, our full-time programmes are one year running from September until July. 

    Will acrylics be involved in Beauty Therapy? 

    We have a manicures and pedicures module, this includes nail polish and gel polish. We offer a nail technology part-time course. 

    Are students allowed piercings on these courses? 

    Students are not allowed to wear any jewellery at all due to health and safety restrictions.  You should also have your hair tied back with short bare nails. 

  • Business, Estate Agency and Computing

    Can I take business and another course at a different campus?

    No, our business courses are full-time courses with the Level 3 extended diploma being equivalent to three A Levels. For every hour you are in College, we expect you to spend the same amount of time studying independently.  

    After one year of the course, do you pick it again or a different one? 

    Level 1 and Level 2 are one year courses. Level 3 is studied over two years. 

    Is the business course vocational or academic?

    It depends on the level, the higher the level the more in depth written work is involved. All of the courses are vocational, helping to equip you with the skills that you need for the world of real work, but they do have academic assignments that you need to complete, as well as some exams on the Level 3 course. The Level 3 course is a real balance of exams and coursework; we give you lots of support ensure that you are really well prepared. 

    Can I take Business, Tourism and Computing together? 

    You can at Level 1. The higher levels are stand alone, full-time subjects, with the exception of Level 2 Business and Travel & Tourism. 

    Will I have to do my work placement on my days off? 

    Yes, this is because your College days will be made up of your study programme. 

    What time does College open and close?

    Each campus has slightly different opening hours, on different days of the week. Some are open until 9pm, but this doesn’t mean you will be timetabled at that time. Generally the earliest time lessons start is 9-9:30am, with the latest ending time being around 4:30-5pm. 

    Are there any exams in the Estate Agency course?

    There are 4 exams that take place throughout the year, they are multiple choice exams and we give you plenty of time to prepare for these. As they are staggered throughout the year, if for any reason you do not pass one of them, you will be given the opportunity to re-sit. 

    What can the courses lead onto?

    Business can lead onto many different career paths, including; accounting, marketing, finance, management. Businesses are everywhere, you can go into any industry. 

    Many previous Estate Agency students have gone on to get jobs in the industry. The course provides you with very transferable skills, such as customer service, which can really help you in any customer facing business. 

    How many days will I be at College?

    This depends on whether you have passed English and maths GCSE at grade 4 or above as you may need to study these subjects as part of your individual study programme alongside your main subject. Unlike most sixth forms, we invite you in for ‘blocks’ of lessons; this means that most students have at least one day off per week. 

  • Catering & Hospitality

    If I have a GCSE in food and nutrition, at what level will I start?

    Every applicant is an individual, and we consider what industry standard skills they already have. If you already have some skills, you may feel comfortable to start at Level 2, but many students start at Level 1 and work their way up. You also need to have skills in areas such as customer service. 

    What support is available for students with additional learning needs? 

    We offer a wide range of support, this can include one-to-one support, academic support, and mentoring. We have professionals here to help you, we can tailor your learning plan around your needs. Whether you have a physical disability or a learning difficulty, support will be put in place to help you. 

    How many hours a week will I attend College? 

    Typically you are in the kitchen for five hours one day and the restaurant for five hours another day. You also have one hour of tutorial per week, an hours theory lesson, and another two hours practising your kitchen skills. If you are still working towards your English and maths GCSE time for this will be scheduled into your learning programme. We also encourage students to spend the rest of their free time completing their assignments online at home or in the Learning Resource Centre. 

    Can you go straight onto a Level 3 qualification? 

    Normally we would expect you to be able to demonstrate existing industry skills to go straight on to Level 3; for example if you have previous experience of working in a kitchen. Many students start at Level 1 or 2 before progressing onto Level 3. To start at Level 2 you need to have at least four GCSEs at grade 3 or above. If you have not achieved any qualifications then we can discuss your options with you before starting at Level 1 and we would help you to achieve English and maths.

    Can I do a Level 1 course alongside an apprenticeship?

    No, the Level 1 is a full-time course and the apprenticeship route would consist of a full working week. Unfortunately you would not be able to do both at the same time. 

    How often would we be working in the restaurant? 

    It depends on the level of the course you are studying. Level 2 students are usually in there one day a week. 

    Can you combine subjects alongside A Levels?

    Our courses are full-time, so you wouldn’t be able to combine it with any other subjects. 

    What local restaurants or hotels have previous students gone onto work for? 

    We have strong links with the local industry, one example of which we are really proud is a restaurant called Isaac’s, it is owned, run and staffed by our former students, from the kitchen to front-of-house. It is a great example to show students what is achievable within a few years of completing College. We are extremely lucky in Brighton to have a great variety of local restaurants. Over the years we have probably had around 20 students work at the Gingerman chain. Most restaurants or hotels in Brighton and Worthing will have had some of our students working there at some point, from cafes to fine dining. Many also go on to run their own business. 

    When will interviews take place? 

    The application process is really straightforward. Once you apply online, and we have received your application, we will arrange an application review meeting. You will meet one of the lecturers to discuss your course options, this may be face-to-face or online. They will be able to help answer any questions you may have and will ensure you are on the right programme. 

  • Childcare and Health & Social Care

    Due to Covid-19 I haven’t been able to take part in work experience, does this matter? 

    We understand that not everyone has been able to do work experience this year due to the circumstances and we will make adaptations around this. Usually we ask students to take part in a week’s work experience during the summer holidays prior to joining their course. This helps gain a reference, however this year it has not always been possible and we accept that. 

    If we have already completed work experience while at school, would we then be able to do more work experience at the same placement while at College? 

    Yes, there’s no reason why not. This often happens when a work placement is keen to take someone that they already know. We do ask students to research a workplace that they feel comfortable in. 

    How much work experience do we do as part of the childcare course? 

    Up until lockdown, there was a certain amount of hours of work experience required for each subject and the level of the course. This was around 2 days a week at your workplace setting. We have had to adapt this now due to Covid-19, we are currently working with the examining bodies to establish the new requirements and to ensure students can still achieve their qualification, however, this may mean fewer hours of work experience. 

    What is a suitable work placement for a Level 3 Health and Social Care student? 

    Placements can include anywhere that the student is comfortable, we will try and accommodate this where possible, if it is relevant to the subject. The College would also need to carry out certain checks to ensure that the workplace can provide you with the relevant experience and meets health and safety requirements. Many students work in care homes, with youth workers, with social workers, hospitals and, where we can, medical settings.  

    Is work experience mandatory? 

    Yes it is, over the year your timetable will allow you to have a full day or two away from the campus, per week, to carry out your work experience. We assess you on your occupational competency, so if you prove that you can do the job very well and you are knowledgeable and resourceful on that placement, it may mean you pass that assessment criteria sooner. It also looks great on your CV. 

    Do we have to find our own work placements? 

    No, we have a work placement coordinator who will meet with you very early on in the course to discuss your placement options. We will try to get your work placement as close to where you live as possible, to avoid additional travel costs. If you do have a suggestion we will take this into account as well. 

    Do I have to start at Level 1 if I already have real-life experience?

    Any existing experience is great to have, however the level of the course that you begin at is based upon which grades you achieve in your GCSE English and maths. For example, if you achieve grade threes then you are likely to join at Level 2. If you achieve fours then you are likely to start at Level 3. 

    At what campuses are the courses based?  

    Early years Levels 1 - 3 are based at our Northbrook MET, Broadwater campus and Brighton MET, East Brighton campus. Health and Social care is based at Brighton MET, East Brighton campus. 

    How do I apply and when is the deadline? 

    You can apply online via our website. You create a user id and once you have applied we will invite you to an application review meeting, where we discuss your course options with us, find out more about the College and what course is right for you. The sooner you apply, the better, because it means you are more likely to gain a place on your preferred course, however there is no deadline. If you don’t achieve your expected GCSE grades, then we will always offer you an alternative course or level, so please don’t worry. We will always have a discussion with you and there is always a place for you here at the MET. You can apply for multiple courses and multiple colleges to give yourself lots of options. 

    Is work experience a requirement before joining a course? 

    Not currently, due to the Covid-19 restrictions. We understand that work placements have not been possible for a lot of students this year so we will make adjustments. We don’t want to disadvantage anyone, although usually we do like students to have some experience. 

    Could I go to university with a Level 1 or 2 qualification? 

    You would need to progress onto and achieve a Level 3 qualification to meet the entry requirements for a degree level course. A Level 3 extended diploma will give you sufficient UCAS points to study a university degree. 

  • Construction and Trades

    Is the electrical installation course available at the Worthing campus? 

    Unfortunately not, we don’t offer any electrical courses in Worthing because our facility at East Brighton is becoming a centre of excellence for building services. It is such a great facility that all of our electrical courses are run there. 

    How long does the electrician course take? 

    It depends which route you take, it generally takes four and a half years to become a qualified electrician. If you are leaving school to go into full-time education at college, you could start at Level 1 and go onto Levels 2 and 3, each of these taking one year. After that, you would need to complete your NVQ elements, and the AMC to get fully qualified status. That in itself can take a variable amount of time because you have to do this whilst you are employed. So overall, you will spend at least three years at college and then possibly another 18 months or so getting experience on site to gain the full qualification. 

    You could also take the apprenticeship route, if you are able to find an employer who will take you on as an apprentice. This route again is usually three years within the College, but depends on the nature of the employment and the variation of discipline you are doing on site. You may cover a range of areas such as domestic, commercial and industrial, in which case you are likely to become qualified a little bit quicker than someone just specialising in one area. 

    Can you do the painting and decorating course alongside the carpentry and joinery course within the same year? 

    No, each course is a full-time course meaning that it would be your full study programme. If you are unsure of what you want to do, within the first six weeks of the year you will have the opportunity to trial the course and perhaps move to another one. We also suggest applying for all courses that you are interested in, we can discuss your options and what is right for you at your application review meeting. 

    If English is my second language would I get help? 

    Yes, you would get support. We normally like students to have an ESOL qualification at Level 3 if English is not their first language, but this depends on the qualification they wish to choose. The carpentry, bricklaying, and painting and decorating qualifications may be easier than the electrical installation and plumbing qualifications, because these subjects do require quite a high level of maths. We would have an interview process, whether it’s face-to-face or virtually to discuss which course is right for you. We currently have lots of people on our part-time electrical course and English isn’t their first language. 

    Would each trade be a different course or do you offer a multi-trade course? 

    A mixed trade course is not something we currently offer, we used to offer this but found it didn’t always progress well into certain disciplines. You will need to pick which trade you wish to learn, but if you decide you want to change course within the first six weeks we will always aim to help you with this. 

    Are the courses vocational or academic? 

    They all contain a big vocational element. Electrical installation and carpentry and joinery each contain complex maths elements at Level 3, so there is a requirement for quite high level maths in these courses. Generally they are all vocational qualifications. 

    Do you provide transport for people living in Brighton that want to do a course at the Broadwater campus? 

    We don’t have our own transport system from Brighton to Broadwater but if you are in receipt of certain bursaries the cost is potentially something that could be covered. We have a student financial support team who will be able to help with any further questions and there is more information available on our website. 

    What days of the week will I be in college? 

    It depends on the course. If you are aged between 16-19 years-old you will be on a full-time study programme, which is typically three or four days a week in College. If you are an apprentice, depending on the subject area, is likely to be one day a week. Unfortunately we cannot give you specific days until your timetable has been set once you have enrolled. 

    Where is the painting and decorating course based? 

    Brighton East Campus.

    Are you planning for this course to be available at the Broadwater campus? 

    No, this is just based at the East Brighton Campus. 

    What equipment will I need for the courses? 

    It depends on the course, for all courses you will need safety boots as well as pens and pencils for your theory work. You may want to bring your own overalls, for electrical or plumbing. We supply safety goggles, gloves, masks, visors etc. 

    Is there any help finding an apprenticeship employer? 

    Ideally students should come to us with an employer already, this is the normal route. The National Apprenticeship Service is definitely worth looking at to help you find an employer, you can register your interest with them online and be alerted to any local vacancies. There is also BConstructive.org which is very useful when looking for an employer. We have a dedicated apprenticeship team here at the College who will help you if we have a vacancy with the College. 

    Does the apprenticeship employer need to be accredited or can you do it with any company?

    You can work with any employer, providing that they meet the requirements of the qualification and the health and safety requirements of the College. For example, with a carpentry apprenticeship we need to make sure that the company doesn’t just lay wooden flooring and they offer you the range of work that is required. They could be a big employer with lots of employees, or they could be a sole trader working on their own. 

    Would you recommend an electrical apprenticeship or full-time study?

    An apprenticeship is great if you can find an employer that is willing to support you through the qualification, whilst full-time study it is an excellent opportunity to learn a lot about a trade, learning in College will provide you with a lot of training experiences but working as an apprentice will provide you with lots of real work experiences. An apprentice learns on the job, four days a week and attends college to become qualified. 

    Is there 1:1 support if you need it? 

    Yes, definitely! 

    What GCSE grades do you need to get onto the courses? 

    Ordinarily you need grade 2 or above in English and maths for the Level 1 courses, once you have completed the Level 1 you can progress onto Levels 2 and 3, in which time we hope that you will have achieved GCSE English and maths if you have not previously. 

    How long is the carpentry apprenticeship? 

    Two years is the maximum amount of time for an apprenticeship, it depends on how hard you work, some students can complete it within 18 months. 

    Are there College-run shuttle buses between the Central Brighton Campus and the East Brighton Campus? 

    Yes, there are free buses for students wearing their student ID. The bus timetable is scheduled around the start and end of lesson times so that you have enough time to catch the bus after your lesson has ended. 

    Is there a uniform? 

    No, but we do say don’t wear your best clothes because you are going to be in a workshop. 

    Can students with learning disabilities bring a support worker to an apprenticeship class? 

    The College can provide support in classes where required. If the student was doing an apprenticeship, they would need to consider if they would need additional support whilst at work, the individual must be able to carry out their work tasks independently. An apprenticeship is essentially four full working days a week. 

    Can you do a Level 1 course and then get an apprenticeship? 

    Yes you can do this if you wish, or you can go straight from school into an apprenticeship. 

    What happens if you are late to class? 

    We have lots of students and understand that sometimes you may be late. If you are late to class we can make exceptions, however if you were regularly late to class then we would need to discuss this with you and take action to get you back on track. It can be really difficult for the staff to deliver a theory class with students arriving late because they can end up missing part of key information. We run the buses every 20 minutes to get you here on time, so you should do everything you possibly can to arrive on time. 

    What time of day do the courses start and end? 

    Usually classes start at 9am, however at the moment we have staggered start times, due to COVID-19. The staggered times are working really well to ensure we don’t have too many people arriving in the same place at the same time. Lessons can end from around 4:30-4:45pm, but it depends on your timetable. 

    How many A Levels is construction equivalent to and can you do it alongside other subjects? 

    It depends what course you chose, we offer painting and decorating, carpentry and joinery and bricklaying as separate courses. Each is a full-time course, so this would be your full study programme, meaning that you would not have time for another subject alongside. 

    If I don't pass my English and maths GCSE, can I still do an apprenticeship? 

    Yes you can,  we would do an initial assessment so that we can understand if you are going to be capable of the apprenticeship requirements. Whilst you are an apprentice you would then work towards gaining a functional skills qualification in English and maths alongside your apprenticeship. 

    What is your application deadline? 

    There isn’t a deadline, but we advise applying as soon as possible in order to secure your place. You can apply for as many courses as you are interested in and then decide after your GCSEs. 

    If I did the full-time carpentry course, would it be possible to work on the days that I am not in college without doing an apprenticeship? 

    Yes, definitely. If you are in College three days a week, what you do on the other two days is entirely up to you. You could potentially use this time to gain work experience; we can also look into getting you onto an industry placement which can provide a very valuable experience. 

    Can you change course? 

    Within the first six weeks of starting a course it is usually possible to change, we mainly teach health and safety in these first weeks across all the courses so it is easier to change before we move onto the trade-specific learning. It depends on the situation but there are always options. 

    Do students get discounts on trains? 

    Yes, some student cards can provide discounts, there are railcards and some financial support available for students. Contact our financial support team for more information. 

    If I live in Medway, can I go to this College? 

    Yes, providing you are able to travel to and from college. 

    Is the electrical course more theory based or practical? 

    At Level 1, the course starts at about 50:50 of each. As you go up the levels, it gets progressively more theory based. The Level 3 course is 95% theory based and 5% practical. 

    If I start a full-time course and then find an apprenticeship employer half-way through, can I then change? 

    Yes, you can. 

    How can I apply? 

    You can apply via our website by creating an account and completing an application. The process is really easy, one of our admissions team will be in touch to organise an application review meeting with you and one of the construction team to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have about the courses or the College, following this you will go through to the enrolment process. 

    What does an apprentice do on their one day a week in College? 

    All apprentices have to achieve functional skills English and maths if they have not already passed GCSE with grade 4 or above. There will be some theory elements of your trade, as well as practical training which is based around the employer needs. The day is about 6.5 hours in total.

    Is plumbing more practical or theory based? 

    At Levels 1 and 2, it is about 50% of each. 

    Can I apply to multiple colleges if I haven’t made my mind up yet? 

    Yes, we recommend applying for as many courses, at as many colleges as you are interested in. Get lots of interviews and then make your mind up depending on which course and college fits your needs the best. 

    Is there student car parking? 

    Yes, for construction we have parking at our East Brighton and Broadwater campuses. 

  • Courses for Adults

    Do I still have to meet the course GCSE entry requirements, if I have qualifications gained in France? 

    Once you have applied for a course, we will invite you to an application review meeting at which we will discuss your qualifications on an individual basis. We can find out what your existing qualifications are equivalent to and see if you meet the course entry requirements. We also have an ESOL department, they can assess you in English and maths to find out which level you are in English grades.

    Will BREXIT change your course entry policy? 

    At the moment, we are still waiting to see what will happen. As soon as we know, we will update our website with this information. In terms of funding, if you go to the GOV.UK website it will tell you about the funding criteria. 

    Despite being in a pandemic, is it possible to come and view a workshop session? 

    It would depend on what the workshop is, you can visit if you complete a risk form. We have reduced our class sizes, due to COVID-19. We also have some videos of our classes that we can send to you if you prefer. We would need to pre-arrange any visit, so please make sure to get in touch with us beforehand. 

    I am interested in the Access to HE courses but I am worried about my essay writing and reading comprehension skills. Is there additional support available? 

    Yes, we offer additional support. Every access student will get a lot of support with academic reading and essay writing skills. We don’t expect you to have those skills before you come to us; we teach them. We start right from the beginning with; constructing sentences, constructing paragraphs, reading questions, picking out key words, doing your research, knowing which are the right sources to choose to base an essay on. We do all this in the classroom and we support you through your early essays. We also offer support for students with additional learning needs, such as dyslexia. You will not feel alone on the course if you have additional learning needs and you will be very well supported by the staff here at the College. 

    Do the part-time courses include work experience? 

    No, they don’t. We offer programmes for the unemployed which offer links to businesses and we also have some voluntary work, for example if you are studying Health & Social Care. Some tutors are in touch with local businesses and can provide really great links. It depends on your course and would be a case of having a chat with your tutor to see what opportunities are available. 

    Can I start at Level 2 Counselling, or do I have to complete Level 1 first? 

    Yes, you can start at Level 2. If you apply, you will have an application review meeting to discuss which level is right for you. The counselling environment can include a lot of personal content and can be fairly intense, therefore we always want to ensure that the course is right for you. If you feel that it is right for you, we will support you. Hopefully after completing Level 2, you can then move onto Level 3. 

    Are there any evening courses for any trades? 

    Yes, we run some adult community learning courses in carpentry. There is no qualification attached to the course. If there is enough demand out there for more part-time courses in these areas then the College will aim to provide this in the future. 

    I’m not sure which course to take, is there someone I can contact? 

    Yes, we can guide you through this and have a chat to establish which course would suit you. We can discuss your salary expectations from a job, your interests, your abilities and many other aspects. Just get in touch to arrange this. We have a very welcoming student services department and careers department that can singpost you to the most relevant courses/departments within the College. 

  • Engineering, Vehicle Maintenance and Aircraft Maintenance

    If I don’t pass GCSE maths at grade 4 or above can I study maths GCSE and still enrol on the Aircraft Maintenance course? 

    Regrettably maths is an integral part of the Aircraft Maintenance course and that GCSE pass is critical to being able to complete the work. The course includes a module called Aeronautical Maths and Science for which those maths and science GCSEs are critical. If you do not achieve those passes we will endeavour to find you a place on another technical course and support you with a maths GCSE retake to get your skills to a level to enable you to progress onto the Aircraft course. 

    Aircraft Maintenance – how much of the course is theory?

    Almost all the first year (Level 2) is classroom-based and indeed the course specification is all theory, however, towards the end of the first year we do include some practical work to get students ready for the Level 3 and the practical work included in that year. The feedback from our students about this course is excellent.   

    Is the Level 3 City & Guilds Aircraft Maintenance course EASA (European Union Aviation Safety Agency) approved?

    Although not approved by EASA the units covered on this City & Guilds qualification run alongside those covered on the EASA A and B licences and this course is a great stepping stone for progression onto the A Licence qualification.     

    I am 21 and have a Level 3 Gity and Guilds in general engineering how would I get my EASA licence?

    Look for a company that is a ‘147’ training organisation. They are run by EASA/CAA and they can deliver the A licence.  

    Does the Aircraft Maintenance course lead on to piloting aircraft or just engineering careers? 

    The students on this course are predominantly looking for careers in aircraft engineering roles, usually working on large commercial aircraft. However, we do have an ex-student currently studying to achieve his commercial pilot’s licence, but it’s not the main career choice from this qualification. 

    I am currently taking my private pilot’s licence at Shoreham Airport, will this help with the aircraft maintenance course? 

    Absolutely, many of the topics covered such as theory of flight, aircraft structures: ailerons/flaps etc. and how things work on an aircraft are incredibly important and your experience of these will undoubtedly help with our qualification.  

    What topics are covered on the Motorsport courses?

    It’s a very broad qualification. Level 2 has twenty units with a mix of practical, theory and written work. It covers the technologies required, which includes motor racing-specific and standard light vehicle information and diagnostics. There is also project work and the possibility of a track day working on improving the performance of a vehicle. The Level 3 includes additional science, maths and electronics units and is a great route onto the Level 4 (degree-level) qualification we offer, which is accredited by the University of Brighton. 

    Can I study the motorsport course if I don’t get the required maths and English GCSE grades? 

    The motorsport courses are heavily oversubscribed so you are unlikely to get a place without the required grades. 

    I want to design cars for the motorsport industry; how much design is in the motorsport diploma? I am thinking of going to sixth form first and then doing this course, is the course appropriate for students aged 18+?

    For car design this is an ideal course. At Level 2 and 3 Motorsport you’ll work on the components and subsystems that make a vehicle run as efficiently as it should. On the Level 3 (second year) you work more on the diagnostics, science and electronics side of the industry. Then progression on to the BSc (Hons) degree level course we offer is a great route to a career in car design and we have students who have studied with us from Level 2 through to degree level and who are now working as design engineers at large auto groups.

    Does the L3 Motorsport Engineering course carry any UCAS points?

    Yes the course carries the following UCAS points: a distinction 

    I’m interested in a career in heavy vehicle maintenance, would your car maintenance course be suitable for me?

    Yes, as small and large vehicles share a lot of the same components: lighting systems etc. There are components that are not found on small vehicles, but the Level 1 and 2 will give you a great start and you can move on to an apprenticeship in heavy vehicle maintenance. 

    Can I study Level 2 Motor Vehicle without having the required the English and maths GCSE grades?

    Most students need both English and maths but if a student has a strong link with industry and has knowledge and proof of experience working in a garage for example, they may be able to go straight onto Level 2. We would assess this on a case by case basis.  

    What is covered on the mechanical engineering course?

    This is a general engineering course including project work, fluid mechanics, 3D CAD work designing components and subsystems, and electronics units. So, many different areas that can be applied to many different industry roles.    

    I am interested in engineering, is there a general engineering course I can study that will give me a taster so I can choose my career path? 

    The Level 3 Engineering course at Broadwater has some generic, core engineering units and the extended diploma is an excellent qualification that gives you a great progression path onto the HNC or indeed any general or mechanical engineering degree course at university.

    Do you recommend an engineering course at college before taking on a Royal Navy engineering apprenticeship?

    The Level 3 mechanical engineering course will give you a fantastic grounding for any engineering based apprenticeship, so yes it will be the perfect course for you. 

     How is the work placement on the L3 Mechanical Engineering extended diploma organised?  

    These are organised by the tutors and students and we help students identify local organisations to work with. We include site visits to local companies, in the past these have included Bowers & Wilkins and Ricardo, but ultimately it is the tutor working with their students who identify and arrange when and where these take place. 

    Does the College help students to find an apprenticeship?

    Because of our strong relationships with local businesses occasionally an employer will contact us looking for an apprentice, but that would of course be for an existing student. So usually the student will need to find an employer and we will liaise between them and the company to arrange the apprenticeship.  

    How big are the class sizes for your courses?

    We usually have around 20-23 students in a class, but can vary depending on the qualification level and how many applicants we have

    What are the earliest start time as I live a long way from the campus?

    The earliest any course starts is 9am.

    Is there a prospectus we can see with all the course details?

    You can download our prospectus from our website: https://www.gbmc.ac.uk/media/pdf/fe-worthing-prospectus-2021-2022-web-v2-4274.pdf

    You can also request one in the post via the website, or by calling 01903 273060

    When is the deadline for applications for your courses? 

    Although we don’t have a deadline many of our courses do get oversubscribed, so we recommend you apply as soon as possible so that we can arrange the application review meeting and secure your place on the course of your choice. 

    Can you run through the application process please?

    Once you have applied online, you’ll receive an acknowledgement email from us. We will contact you to arrange an ‘application review meeting’ with our course team, during which you can ask any questions you have and we will discuss everything you need to know about the course and confirm if it is the right course for you. You’ll then be offered a place and then go through the enrolment process after you receive your GCSE results. The answers to any questions you have about the application process and many other areas can also be found here: https://gbmet.onlineopendays.com/student-life/

    When is the application deadline for an apprenticeship?

    For motor vehicle apprenticeships, our next start date is January so do contact us for more details. 

    Can I apply before I get my GCSE results?

    Yes! We recommend you apply to us as soon as possible and apply for as many courses as you are interested in, secure yourself places on those courses and then you can decide which is the one for you after you receive your GCSE results next summer. 

  • Hairdressing & Barbering

    Do we have to participate in the hair and makeup shows?

    Generally it is compulsory for students on the hairdressing, barbering and makeup courses to enter those shows as it’s a very important part of your learning, but don’t let it put you off applying; the shows always turn out brilliantly. 

    Is barbering full time and can you study anything else? 

    For school leavers we offer barbering as a full-time Level 2 course at the Central Brighton campus and you would only study that subject (along with English and/or maths GCSE if you haven't already passed those). 

    What would a normal day at the college look like for an apprentice hairdresser?

    Our apprentices come into college on day release courses, so they would be in college one day a week and in full-time employment for the other four days. The day in college involves an hour of theory in the morning and then two sessions of practical, covering skills such as colouring, cutting, highlighting etc. 

    How long are the courses?

    It depends on which course you are doing, 16-18 year olds are usually on one year courses but we also offer part-time, adult courses. 

    How does the application process work? 

    All our applications are done online, and full instructions can be found on our website.

    Are you able to help with finding a hairdressing apprenticeship placement? 

    Yes, our apprenticeship team can help recommend employers to our apprentices. 

    Do I have to start at Level 1 Hairdressing? 

    No, if you have achieved grade 3 or above in GCSE English and maths then you can go straight into Level 2 hairdressing. If you don’t already have the GCSE entry requirements then you would start at Level 1, and improving your English and math skills is included in the course and the assignments. Regardless of whether you start at Level 1 or 2, it’s a great course, as you will be learning a skill for life. The idea is that you build up your practical skills and muscle memory, so the longer you practice, the better you are going to be. You can start at Level 1 or 2 and work your way up. 

    How many days would I attend each week?

    If you are 16-18 you will attend the College three days a week, you may also have English and maths GCSE in your study programme, if you have not already passed. If you are over 19, you are likely to be in college twice a week. 

    Is it possible to study Level 2 Hairdressing alongside a Beauty Therapy course?

    No, each course is a full-time course so you wouldn’t be able to fit both in alongside each other. There would be timetable clashes and the workload is quite a lot for each course. It would be possible to study one course in your first year, and then the other course in your second year at the College, but not both at the same time. 

    What is a general day or week like for a Hairdressing student? 

    A typical day here is always fun and exciting; you meet lots of different people. Your timetable is made up of a combination of theory and practical work, you have breaks and lunch in between, and the refectory here serves great food. It’s not particularly like school, it’s a college with a college attitude. Whilst we expect you to wear a uniform and arrive prepared and on time, you are treated more like an adult. In the classroom we do lots of demonstrations for you, as well as move around the salon and help you individually, it’s great fun. You get to chat to lots of people; it’s very social. 

    Is the apprenticeship appropriate for a 16 year-old? 

    Yes, absolutely. Sixteen year-olds can go straight into an apprenticeship. 

    Would it be best to complete the Level 1 Hairdressing full-time before progressing onto a Hairdressing apprenticeship?

    You can do this if you wish to have a taste of hairdressing before starting an apprenticeship. If you have already passed your English and maths GCSEs, then you could start at Level 2 straight away. It depends on the individual and the route they wish to take. 

    How much theory is there? 

    The courses are 70% practical and 30% theory. 

    Are mature students still considered based on their GCSE grades?

    Mature students can go straight onto a Level 2 course, we don’t have GCSEs as an entry requirement for mature students. 

    Have you got support for students with anxiety and autism?

    Absolutely, we have lots of support available for everyone who needs it. We have mentors, counsellors and your lecturers are extremely supportive. We are an inclusive college with a great additional learning support team.

    Am I able to apply for both, a Hairdressing course and an Apprenticeship, just in case I can’t find a placement? 

    Yes, you can apply for as many courses as you like in order to have options to choose from after receiving your GCSE results. We understand that COVID-19 has had an impact on salons being allowed to open. We recommend applying for more than one course. 

  • Inclusion and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

    Is Gateway 1 covered by the Oak Grove, Year 10 & 11 one day a week programme?

    The Oak Grove programme is not the same as the Gateway 1 course as it is not accredited so does not work towards a qualification. Gateway 1 does have a qualification attached and it is more extensive that the Oak grove programme. The Oak Grove programme is very much a ‘taster’ of what you can expect to do on Gateway 1.

    How many are Pathfinders students in college?  

    Students are in College for just over three days per week and this includes English and maths.

    Will students at Level 3 spend the other two days somewhere else?

    For Gateway 2 and 3 students have three days at College; one day home-learning (when they work on activity books, online assignments or worksheets), with the other day off. For Gateway 1 it’s four days in College and one day off.

    Is there SEND support for young people who want to join a mainstream music course but have an EHCP? And what does that support look like?

    Whilst we don’t offer a specific Gateway music course we have a range of support in place across the College and the specific needs of each student will determine the level of support provided, especially when a student has an EHCP. The smaller group sizes on the Gateway programmes mean that an extra amount of support is given as standard. 

    If a student is already entitled to extra time in exams does that automatically continue at the MET?

    Access arrangements at school will usually continue here at College. We will contact your school and use their assessments.

    Is it possible to visit the college and meet the staff before applying?

    If you are interested in a Gateway course at the Broadwater campus, then Lee Marshall is very happy to meet you and show you around. You can contact him at: lee.marshall@gbmc.ac.uk

    Are you providing tours during this lockdown period?

    Yes, we are. For the Northbrook MET courses at Broadwater Campus please email lee.marshall@gbmc.ac.uk or call 01903 273091 and we will fit you in as soon as we can.

    For Brighton MET courses at Central Campus please contact gaynor.brown@gbmc.ac.uk or call 01273 667788.

    How do you apply?

    All applications are made online via our website, but if you need any support with this please get in touch.

    When is the deadline for applications?

    Although there is no deadline we recommend you apply as soon as possible as there are limited places available for these courses. We have small group sizes and when full we operate a waiting list. So to ensure your place apply now.

    How many students are on each course?

    We have a maximum group size of 14 students. Sometimes on Gateway 1 due to the level of need we will have smaller groups than this. We do run more than one group; this year we have multiple groups on all Gateway levels, but this is why it’s important to get your application in as early as possible to secure your place.  

    Can I change courses?

    Hopefully you’ll love the Gateway course so much that you won’t want to change, but if you feel the course is not right for you, you can change and this would usually happen within the first six weeks of the course. 

    How many days a week is the Brighton MET Gateway course?

    The Brighton MET Gateway courses are generally run over four days per week. Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions we are running the courses as three days in College and one day of home learning – this is to reduce the amount of time in College for all students. We are hopeful that from next September we will be able to run the courses as four days in College.

    Does the course require regular homework?

    There is a distance learning/home learning session in the timetable, and some work is set for students to complete at home, but it is not a huge amount.

    Do students on Gateway 2 go off campus alone without adult support?

    If parental permission is given for a student to leave the campus unaccompanied they can do so, for example to visit the shops in Broadwater at lunchtime. However, if permission is not given they will not be allowed to leave the campus. If we go out for an activity all students are fully supervised.

    Are there any entry requirements for the Gateway courses?

    No. There are no entry requirements and we work closely with every student to ensure they study the right course for their needs.

    Do young people with an EHCP need to meet the same access requirements for a mainstream course as everyone else?

    Usually yes, however all students are enrolled on an individual basis and any decision would be made after careful consultation and discussion about what is the right course for that student. It may be appropriate to study for a year on a Gateway programme to help transition to another curriculum area, but any decision is always made on an individual basis.

    Is there SALT (speech and language therapy) assistance for students that need it?

    If there is a specific need for SALT support, in an EHCP for example, we will provide that in conjunction with the local authority. We do some provide small SALT groups that run at lunchtime for those needing that extra support.

    Do you get transition information from Oak Grove?

    Yes, we have a very close relationship with Oak Grove and we will have everything needed to support those students in place for when they start at the MET. This ensures them a smooth transition.

    How do we know which Gateway course to apply for, will you work with Oak Grove to do this?

    Yes we will work with Oak Grove and we also work very closely with every student (and their parents/carers) to ensure they are on the right course for them. Come and meet us and we can start that process. Whatever your specific needs we have a course that is right for you.  


    Brighton is such a busy city and some parents may be concerned about the outside environment. Do most students with special educational needs go out at lunchtime or stay inside the College?

    We have a quiet room available for students to use at lunch and break times. All Gateway courses are conducted in the same area of the campus in Brighton and students can stay in that area and there are staff members available to provide break and lunchtime support.  If parents do not want their student to leave the campus they will not be allowed to do so. However, if wanted, to increase a student’s independence, this is something that we can move towards. 

    Do you teach functional skills in English?

    Yes, both English and maths functional skills are taught.

    Can I take a Uniformed Services course at the same time as a Gateway or Pathfinders course?

    All our courses are full time so you can only study one each year. You could start with a Gateway course and progress onto a pathfinder course then onto a Uniformed Services course. Depending on which level you start at you usually progress through the levels i.e. Gateway 1, then 2, then 3. We have a very high success rate for progression form our Gateway and Pathfinders course into other curriculum areas, and we pride ourselves on building the skills and abilities of our students to be ready to progress.

    What would be the natural progression for someone studying key skills and GCSEs at school and who has an EHCP?

    Every student is treated as an individual, regardless of whether they have an EHCP or not, and we look at GCSE and functional skills results and our English and maths team make an assessment. We offer a suite of functional skills and GCSE qualifications and for some students exams are not beneficial, so we can deliver English and maths without an exam. Everything we do is centred around the specific needs of the student and this includes at which level and on which course a student will start. 

  • Music

    How many people are in one class, and do you work in groups or solo?

    Usually we have around 18 students per class who split down to work in smaller groups or solo, if they particularly want to. At the moment due to Covid-19 we have smaller class sizes, in order to be socially distanced from each other and this is combined with a blended learning approach and staggered timetables. 

    Do we get to use the studios and practice rooms in our free time?

    Yes, you can book our studios in your free time. They are also open until 9pm some days and open during half term. The studios can get busy during the college day as they are used fairly intensively by the college courses. 

    Would I need to audition for all music, dance and drama in order to study the Level 3 acting musician pathway?

    Yes, ultimately you would. A piece that demonstrates all three would be great, however you can audition separate pieces as well, depending on what suits you. 

    How long would the audition piece need to be for a music audition? 

    A full song from beginning to end. You need to show that you understand not just the technicalities of a particular piece but also the phrasing of the whole song. You need to demonstrate that you have a relationship with your instrument in the context of a whole song. 

    How will the auditions take place this year? 

    The auditions are online at the moment, which does actually work really well. Although it is lovely meeting you face-to-face, online auditions are not a bad thing because it means that students may feel less nervous and more comfortable at home. Once you have applied we will be in touch to schedule your audition. 

    Is songwriting its own course, or is it part of the music performance course? 

    We have a songwriting sub-pathway where we give you additional songwriting tasks.  Generally speaking we use songwriting as part of our teaching methods, everyone in the music department is a songwriter in some way or another. You can leave with a Level 3 in songwriting, if you wish to, or you can leave with a Level 3 in performance and production. Both routes will take you through a similar process. We provide a space where you can try everything out within your first year, and if you end up wanting to be a songwriter, we will encourage you and create an environment where you can leave with a songwriting qualification. Equally, if you try songwriting and decide that it’s not for you, then you haven’t signed up for the wrong course. 

    Is it helpful or necessary to read music? 

    It is really useful to be able to read music and we will teach you the basics of music theory in your first year. If you find that it is really necessary for you to learn advanced theory because that is the kind of course you wish to go on and do, then we will support you and push you in that direction. If you are more of an intuitive musician then we may guide you to create music in a slightly different way where it is not required to read music. 

  • Sport and Uniformed Services

    Can you straight onto Level 3 after achieving GCSEs? 

    Yes, you will be put onto the appropriate level course based on the grades you have got at GCSE. If you have English and Maths at Grade 4 or above you can go straight onto the level 3, if you have grade 3 GCSE’s you will be looking at level 2, and if you have lower grades at GCSE you will be looking at a level 1. We will discuss this with you on an individual basis before deciding which course is right for you. 

    Do you have a girls football team?

    At the moment unfortunately due to COVID-19 we are unable to have any sports teams. We are hoping to build our sports teams back up as soon as we are allowed and it is safe to do so, that can certainly include girls football. 

    Do I need to buy any equipment for Sports? 

    The kit costs mainly include the appropriate clothing and footwear for sporting and exercise activities. Most people tend to own a pair of trainers already, we suggest running shoes or sports shoes rather than casual trainers, this is essential for the course. Other than this, we don’t require students to purchase any particular kit unless they desire to. We do have MET sports t-shirts which you can buy. We also expect students to bring a change of clothes for personal hygiene reasons, and ensure clothing is fit for purpose e.g. no jeans. All other equipment and sports facilities are taken care of by us. 

    How do we apply and what is the deadline?

    There is no application deadline, you can apply online and then we will arrange an application review meeting with you to discuss your course options. You can apply for as many courses as you are interested in. 

  • Theatre Performance and Production Arts

    Approximately how many students are there in a Level 3 Musical Theatre class?

    Classes can range between ten and 20 students; if we have a bigger class we tend to split them if we are doing focused, skill-spaced work. 

    If you study musical theatre, but then want to go on and study an academic course at university, would the qualification be considered adequate? 

    Absolutely, all courses at Level 3 or A Levels are worth a certain number of UCAS points, depending on your grades. A distinction at Level 3 is equivalent to 3 A* grades at A Level. Most universities base their entry requirements on the number of UCAS points you have achieved. Whilst the qualifications here are very practical, everything is also backed up by academic work, so you will have the practical skills, but also a very in-depth portfolio to demonstrate your academic skills at an interview. 

    Can I study an acting course after completing 2 years of A Levels? 

    We often get students joining us after studying A Levels for two years, it is a fantastic thing to do, especially if you are under 19 years old because it is an extra year of free education. If you wish to go into the acting/performing arts industry this can act as a third year top up to practice your technical skills and prepare you for drama school or university. There is also the option of studying a Level 4 qualification, but it depends on what you want to do next, your existing skills and your goals. We can discuss this with students on an individual basis at an application review meeting/audition. 

    What would we need to perform in a musical theatre audition?  

    You will perform a monologue, song and take part in a dance class. 

    What are the technical theatre courses? 

    We have a technical theatre and events course, which covers lights, sound and stage management. You start by working in all areas and as you go through the two years you can choose to specialise in one area.  

    Is there a mix of boys and girls on the performance courses? 

    Yes we get a range of students on our performance courses. 

    Is there an equal amount of acting, singing and dancing on the musical theatre course? 

    There are about 3 hours per week dedicated to dance training, 2 hours per week of singing training and the rest of the time is spent on developing acting styles. When we have a show, you are singing, dancing and acting all of the time. Students are not expected to start the course with equal ability in all three areas, we understand that they may be stronger in one area and less confident in another. Part of your experience here is about developing the areas you are least confident in. 

    Can you study more than one subject?

    The Level 3 courses are a full-time course; you will study English and maths alongside if you have not already achieved those at GCSE. 

    Is the makeup for theatre course part of performing arts or media hair & makeup? 

    We offer both; makeup for media is offered at the Broadwater campus as part of the hair and beauty department so it is not located near the theatre. At West Durrington, we offer design for theatre and part of that includes hair and makeup, but you will also study costume, set design, prosthetics and prop making. It is a broader course but you do have the opportunity to specialise in hair and makeup within the course. Design for theatre is based in the theatre department.

  • Travel & Tourism and Cabin Crew

    What qualifications do I need to go straight onto a Level 3 course?

    The entry requirements are four GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English and maths. If you are currently on track to get higher grades than this it is really important to still aim high to achieve the best you possibly can. 

    Is the cabin crew course separate to the travel & tourism course?

    Yes, there is a cabin crew and ground operations course which is two certificates delivered in one year. We also run the full diploma which covers the full six units over two years.  

    How many hours a week are the courses?

    It depends on the level of study as well as if you are taking English and maths alongside your course. English and maths are three hours each per week, per subject. You will have approximately three different lessons per week, that are each three hours long. Plus you will have an assignment workshop and tutorial which are another three hours. We would also expect Level 3 students to allocate the same amount of time to study independently at home, researching and completing assignments. Because you just study one subject at the MET, it means that your lessons will be in blocks; this means that you are likely to be in College for approximately three days a week, giving you lots of flexibility to study independently or even work in a part-time job. 

    What sort of trips are included in the courses?

    Cabin crew students can go on several trips, which include the British Airways Global Learning Academy or the Virgin Atlantic base at Gatwick airport. These trips involve a whole day of training and provide a unique experience. You visit a huge airline learning area where cabin crew members and pilots undertake their training. It is an awesome experience. Some of our students have been successful in securing interviews with these airlines and have been able to refer to these opportunities during the interview. Another cabin crew trip involves visiting a local swimming pool and undertaking a 'wet drill'. If you are not a confident swimmer you will not be out of your depth however, to work as cabin crew the airlines will need you to be able to swim a minimum of 25 metres as a mandatory requirement. Travel and tourism students enjoy a day trip to Thorpe Park, where they meet industry experts and learn about the business as well as enjoy the rides. After the trip we discuss the customer service, how the organisation meets the needs and demands of different types of customer and how the business operates. This experience is invaluable learning for the customer service assignments. In the past we have also visited many other tourist attractions as well as different tour operators. 

    Do I need to be able to speak a foreign language? 

    This is not an essential entry requirement for the courses. However, it is a great skill to have when working for an airline or within the hospitality and tourism industry. 

    Do cabin crew students have to wear a uniform? 

    We ask our students to wear a uniform because we simulate a 'working crew' as part of your assessments; whether you are performing a security check in the cabin area, or providing a meal service. We expect long hair to be worn up; nail varnish can be worn but it must be un-chipped and presentable. The clothing is a plain black shirt, with black trousers or skirt with flat black pumps. Being able to comply with uniform standards is an essential part of working in the airline industry, so it is great preparation. 

    What airlines have previous students gone on to work for? 

    We have had fabulous success with airlines such as British Airways, easyJet, Monarch and Emirates. To work for Emirates the minimum age is 21 as they are based in Dubai. Our students have also gone on to work in the cruise industry, which has similar safety and security processes and customer service standards. 

Ready to apply?

Apply now