Pastoral support & mental wellbeing

Pastoral Mentors

We know that sometimes you might need some extra support in order to keep on top of things and make the most of your time at college. The Pastoral Mentors are here to support you with any issues that may be impacting on your ability to achieve and enjoy your time at college. The team offers a non-judgemental service to all students with a variety of support, including drop-ins, groupwork, appointments and phone support.

Pastoral Mentors

You can talk to your Pastoral Mentor about anything that’s troubling you in or outside of college. This could include relationship and friendship issues, sexual health, financial or housing concerns, substance misuse, physical or mental health needs, or any worries or anxieties. Your Pastoral Mentor will offer support and can liaise on your behalf, if required, with tutors and external agencies. They can also refer you for specialised support in or out of college where needed.

Every campus has at least one Pastoral Mentor and the team run regular information sessions and events, and offer appointments, drop-ins and phone support.

You will be introduced to your campus Pastoral Mentors during your first few weeks.

You can also contact the team by emailing

West Durrington Campus:  Room 101c
(Monday-Thursday 10.00am-2.00pm)

Central Brighton Campus: Room PT6.02c  

Shoreham Airport Campus: Room A2 

Mental Wellbeing Advisers

Our Mental Wellbeing Advisers are here to help you if you are struggling with significant stress, worry, anxiety, depression, having difficulty coping, sleeping, eating or suffering with any kind of trauma.

They are here to talk to you about your mental health, with a view to identifying issues that are affecting you, be it at college or in terms of your general wellbeing. They are non-judgemental and keep information as private as possible.

Their support includes basic assessments around mental health, offering 1:1 sessions to help you cope better, and referring you on to specialist mental health or counselling services for diagnosis and treatment where needed. They will also link with parents and carers when requested, and talk to professionals, tutors or other staff members on your behalf if needed.

You should speak to your Pastoral Mentor in the first instance, and they can refer you to the Mental Wellbeing Adviser for your campus.


We all face difficult experiences in our lives from time to time that may cause us to feel upset or anxious. Counselling provides a safe and confidential space for you to explore personal and emotional issues about any aspect of your life. These issues do not have to be related to college. The counsellor will support you to understand what's going on for you and to look at ways forward.

If you would like to talk to a counsellor here at college, you can ask your Pastoral Mentor to make a referral for you, or you can contact us directly on or find out more on our counselling service page.


Mental health and wellbeing support for degree level students

This short video will talk you through the mental health and wellbeing support available to degree level students at the MET.