Access to Higher Education | Diploma in Nursing & Healthcare Professions | Level 3
Why this course?
- Gain skills and knowledge to prepare you for a career in healthcare
- Dedicated support from tutors to help you with your university application
- Benefit from placements provided by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust to broaden your perspective of healthcare in practice
This one year course aims to prepare you for university-level academic study and will help you to improve essential skills in essay writing and research. On this course you’ll develop your knowledge in a range of healthcare disciplines that will prepare you for entry into higher education.
As well as learning about areas such as anatomy and biology, genetics, human physiology and psychology you will also be provided with the ideal opportunity to improve your general academic skills to help prepare you for university admissions tests and interviews.
The specialist subjects will provide you with a sound knowledge of healthcare that will prepare you for the first year of any health-related degree course. However, it is essential that you check this course meets the requirements for the degree you wish to apply for.
Students on this course progress into a range of careers including medicine, nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, and mental health services.
Health and Care Academy
The College is working in partnership with Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust to help train the next generation of healthcare professionals. The Trust is offering a number of short practice-based placements exclusively for our students studying the Access to Higher Education Diploma in Nursing & Healthcare as part of their course.
Find out more about the Health and Care Academy.
Find out more about this course by watching our recent Webinar and Q&A video here.
Click here to see fee information.
|FE0204-1C||04 Sep 2023||Northbrook College, Broadwater Campus||TBC||£3384.00||Apply|
alumni Views Holly ThorntonThe health and health science access course at Northbrook College helped to prepare me for my university interviews and for university course in general. The modules on the course are really relevant and you feel one step ahead of the others once you are at university.
alumni Views Holly AdcockI am currently in my final year of studying Paramedic Practice BSc at University of Surrey. Prior to this I studied the Access course at Northbrook College. I cannot recommend this course enough! It really helped me develop and refine the academic skills and knowledge that I needed for my degree.
alumni Views Hannah McMillanThe support given overall was fantastic and I don’t think I would have gotten into the top midwifery degree in the county without all the help from the tutors at Northbrook College!
Views Emma DockerillI must thank you for all your kind work with me on the Access Course. It has totally set me up for university life! I do believe that your teaching during the Access Course set me up for success, I am always telling people how brilliant the course is!
You must have GCSE English and Maths Grade 9-4 (A* - C).
GCSE Science is preferable.
Work experience in Health or Social Care is an advantage, however it is not essential and applications from people with different backgrounds are welcomed.
You will be required to attend an interview with a member of the department.
Access to Nursing & Healthcare is an intensive course with an ethos of hard work and commitment. You will be supported to achieve the highest grades you can in every formal assignment, and encouraged to find solutions to the challenges you will meet on the way. This is what makes our course the very best preparation for university and for the professional arena in the future.
The full Access Diploma is worth 60 level three credits; 45 are graded credits and the remaining 15 must be achieved but are ungraded.
The ungraded units are:
- Practical Mathematics for Nursing
- Critical Thinking
- Reviewing and Planning for the Future
- Research Skills for Academic Study
- Using ICT for Study
- Developing Professional Practice in Healthcare
- Understanding Health Promotion and Health Education
- The Sociology of Health
- Understanding Mental Health
- Introduction to Psychology
- Psychology and Mental Health
- The Effects of Stress
- Cells, Tissues and Organs for Healthcare
- Homeostasis for Healthcare
- Blood, Circulation and Gaseous Exchange for Healthcare
- Disease and Body Defence
- Reproductive Biology for Healthcare
- Mendelian and Applied Genetics for Healthcare
- Independent Academic Research (Professional Studies)
The aim of our Access courses is to inspire passion in your subject, and at the same time, build confidence and put you at ease with achieving university level standards.
If you didn't get the grades you needed at college, or if you never considered university an option but have now decided you'd like to continue your education, an Access course is for you.
All your classes will be highly engaging and enable you to be involved and assessed by a range of methods including essays, reports, discussions, presentations, short answer tasks, and research studies.
Why the MET?
- Access to quality teaching resources and rooms.
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment.
- Library and computing facilities.
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support.
- Cafes and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks.
- A hair and beauty salon, both open to the public and offering exceptional value.
This course is preparation for entry onto most health-related degree programmes at universities across the country.
You will gain an excellent foundation of knowledge in the key areas of Nursing and Healthcare and develop the necessary skills for academic study; these include learning how to critically evaluate theories and research, planning essays and writing in an academic style.
Additionally, in the first term, you will complete a unit which will guide you through the UCAS application process and help you choose a course that is right for you.
The progression rate to university is very high with the majority of students securing their first choice.
This course is a recognised entry qualification to higher education.
Following further study you will be able to pursue a career in a variety of roles allied to medicine, such as nursing, midwifery, paramedic practice, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and operating department practice.
Level 3 Entitlement
This course is free if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- If you will be aged 19-23 when your course begins and you have not already achieved a full Level 3 or higher, you may not have to pay any fees.
Advanced Learner Loan
You may be eligible to apply for a loan to meet the course costs of your qualification fees. This is paid directly to the College on your behalf. For more information about Advanced Learner Loans, please click here.