Access to Higher Education | Diploma in Medicine and Dentistry | Level 3
Why this course?
An Access course gives you the opportunity to apply for a university degree. We offer Access to Medicine and Dentistry at our Brighton Campus and our focus at the MET is to give you the necessary skills to prepare you for your journey into higher education and a successful career in your chosen field.
If you didn't get the grades you needed, or you decided you'd like to continue your education, an Access course is for you. Students on the Diploma in Medicine and Dentistry course progress into careers in medicine, chemistry, engineering, physics, biomedical science, pharmacy, marine biology, dental therapy and hygiene.
This course meets the national QAA requirements and is accredited by LASER.
Please note you must be aged 21 or older to join this course.
If you would like to find out more about these courses, come along to our next Webinar and Q&A on Tuesday 28 March. Book your place here.
Click here to see fee information.
|FE0719-1C||04 Sep 2023||Central Brighton||36 weeks||£3384.00||Apply|
Applicants will have GCSE English and Maths at grade 6 (B) or above. Also, you will have to pass a six week review.
Applicants will need to be over 21 as many universities will not offer places to anyone under this age.
Relevant healthcare work experience is essential for securing a place at university and should be started before the Access to HE course
Access to Medicine is a very intensive course with an ethos of excellence. You will be pushed to achieve the highest grades in every formal assignment, and encouraged to step up to the challenges you will meet on the way. This is what makes our course the very best preparation for Medical school and for the professional arena in the future.
The full Access Diploma is worth 60 level three credits; 45 are graded credits and the remaining 15 must be achieved but are ungraded. The units you will study are predominantly science subjects, but there are some in professional practice and study skills.
The graded units are:
- Independent Academic Research (Medicine)
- Cell Biology
- Homeostasis for Healthcare
- Digestion and the Liver for Healthcare
- Blood Circulation and Gaseous Exchange for Healthcare
- Mendelian and Applied Genetics for Healthcare
- Fundamentals of Chemistry
- Structure and Bonding
- Drugs and Food Additives
- Organic Chemistry
- Equilibria, Acids and Buffers
- Optics and Waves
Why the MET?
- Two specialised laboratories - chemistry and microbiology.
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment.
- Library and computing facilities.
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support.
- A hair and beauty salon, both open to the public and offering exceptional value.
Our learners have gone on to gain places in both medicine and dentistry degrees. After graduating you could go on to work in specialisms in medicine or dentistry such as:
- Emergency Medicine
Level 3 Entitlement
This course is free if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- If you will be aged 19-23 when your course begins and you have not already achieved a full Level 3 or higher, you may not have to pay any fees.
Advanced Learner Loan
You may be eligible to apply for a loan to meet the course costs of your qualification fees. This is paid directly to the College on your behalf. For more information about Advanced Learner Loans, please click here.