Access To Higher Education | Diploma in Applied Sciences | Level 3
Why this course?
You will study biology and chemistry; you will also have the opportunity to choose a topic for study to produce an Independent Research Project.
The Access course also prepares you for Higher Education by increasing self confidence in your learning ability as well as developing the necessary academic skills such as essay writing and research skills.
This course will enable you to apply to a variety of life science degree courses such as Pharmacy, Dietetics, Nutrition, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Biochemistry and Veterinary medicine.
The course consists of 60 credits, 45 are graded and 15 are ungraded. All units are at level 3.
alumni Views Tomas Forzani-FawcettI thought I would express my thanks for your help in getting me through college and to university. I am doing well and I am enjoying the modules so far, Forensic science principles being the most interesting, I got 81% on my first lab book marking!
To study for this LASER Access course you must have GCSE English grade C or level 4 (or equivalent qualification recognised by HE) and GCSE Maths grade C or level 4 (or equivalent qualification recognised by HE).
It is essential that you do some reading in preparation for your course so a starting point would be to look at GCSE and/or AS level science text books.
You should also be listening to and reading about current 'science' news stories.
It is also essential to research courses and universities prior to starting the course to help with your university application which takes place in the first term.
Successful completion of the course enables students to progress on to courses such as foundation degrees in biological sciences and degrees in biomedical science, molecular biology, molecular medicine, environmental science, nutrition, genetics, science teaching, forensic science.
There are many careers such as working in NHS laboratories and hospitals and the public health laboratory service.
Biomedical scientists are also employed in a variety of roles including the veterinary service, the health and safety executive, the medical research council, university and forensic laboratories, pharmaceutical and product manufacturers and various government departments.
Biomedical scientists learn skills and gain qualifications that can be transferred all over the UK and recognised worldwide. Biomedical science represents an opportunity to put scientific knowledge into practical use and perform a key role within medical healthcare. For example, when you have visited hospital and had a sample taken from you by a doctor or nurse these would have been analysed by a biomedical scientist, without whom it would not be possible to diagnose illness and evaluate the effectiveness of the necessary treatment.
• Body Movement
• Biochemical Pathways
• Microbiology and Immunology
• Fundamental Chemistry
• Amounts of Matter
• Organic Molecules
• Chemistry for Biology
• Scientific Investigative Skills
• Extended Independent Academic Study (Science)
• Mathematics for the Natural Sciences
• Communication and Presentation Skills
• Essay Skills
• Reviewing and Planning for the Future
• Using ICT For Study
- Our science department benefits from large teaching rooms and two specialised chemistry and microbiology labs
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Access to student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
- A travel agency and a hair and beauty salon, both open to the public
Level 3 Entitlement
This course is free if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- If you will be aged 19-23 when your course begins and you have not already achieved a full Level 3 or higher, you may not have to pay any fees.
Advanced Learner Loan
You may be eligible to apply for a loan to meet the course costs of your qualification fees. This is paid directly to the College on your behalf. For more information about Advanced Learner Loans, please click here.