Barbering | Level 3
Why this course?
Further develop your techniques and prepare for the workplace with this Level 3 Diploma in Barbering. You will be introduced to a wide range of practical barbering techniques and have the opportunity to develop your skills in customer service, communications and commerciality; all of which are highly valued by employers.
Our brand new salon facilities provide an ideal environment to gain the skills, confidence and real-life experience that you need for a career in barbering.
On this course, you will:
- develop transferable service industry skills
- train in brand new salon facilities
- gain practical experience in a realistic commercial environment
- access dedicated careers support with the opportunity to progress on to a higher level service industry course
alumni Views Alice RobsonAlice has recently opened her own salon called ‘Eden’ here in the North Laine in Brighton.
alumni Views Simon WebsterSimon is a is a UK Guest Artist for KMSHair, a member of The Fellowship For British Hairdressing and freelance educator. He studied Hairdressing at Brighton MET college over 30 years ago, winning our Annual Hair show in 1986.
student Views Hamish Tinto- CassidyI found the course hard at the start but then I started doing well. I have passed my exams and I’m in the process of passing my course. I am becoming more confident.
student Views Reece LewisI enjoyed the course and feel I am a closer step to the direction I want to follow. I am a hard worker and want to progress onto the next level of an apprentice.
You must have successfully completed the Level 2 Diploma in Barbering.
- Principles and practices of hairdressing and barbering services
- Consultation techniques and client care
- Shampoo, condition and treating hair and scalp
- Cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- Cut facial hair into shape using basic techniques
- Colour and lighten hair
- Create basic outlines and detailing in hair
- Dry and finish men’s hair
- Create an image based on a theme
- Provide perming services
Why the MET?
The course provides real-world training in our brand new salons at Central Brighton Campus (opened in 2021 as part of our multi-million-pound development), providing you with the hands-on experience you need to launch successful careers. In addition, there is a dedicated mixing room for tints and you'll use high-quality professional kits and products in professional salons with paying customers.
Our highly-skilled teachers have current industry experience and the department has strong industry and employer links.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our Central Campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
- Brand new training salons and a commercial salon open to the public
- High-end industry standard equipment and products
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
You will work commercially in our Metro Hair and Beauty Salon.
We have very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position within that company.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own business.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up-to-date.
After Level 3, you could complete other specialist qualifications or part-time courses such as media hair & makeup, or part-time courses. Alternatively you could undertake a barbering apprenticeship or seek employment.
Future careers include:
- Fashion hairstyling
- Media hairstyling
Course fees and finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
- Kit and uniform: approximately £300 (TBC)
- Online resource: £25
- External trip to trade show: £25
- Portfolio/stationery: £5