Beauty Therapy | VTCT Diploma in Hair & Makeup Artistry | Level 2
Why this course?
This course is ideal if you are interested in a career as a make-up artist, providing hair and make-up services in media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries. You will learn a variety of creative techniques, as well as communication and commercial skills which are highly valued by employers. This course is ideal if you are interested in a career as a makeup artist, providing hair and makeup services in media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries. You will learn a variety of creative techniques, as well as communication and commercial skills, which are highly valued by employers.
Our expert tutors have links with employers and industry and you will benefit from practice in our on-site salon and excellent training facilities.
Start at Level 2 if you have at least three GCSEs at grade 3 (D/E) or above in English, maths and pan art subject (or a portfolio of your creative work).
If you do not have these grades you can start on Level 1 Beauty or Level 1 Hairdressing. To optimise your chance of success, you will ideally have a Level 1 or 2 in beauty, hair or another relevant qualification.
In addition to the specified entry requirements, you may be required to undergo an assessment of your English skills to ensure you are at a sufficient level for your chosen course.
- Makeup application
- Creating an image based on a theme
- Body art design
- Dressing and finishing hair
- Colouring hair
- Anatomy and physiology
- Face and body art painting
- Eyelash and brow treatments
- Fashion and editorial make-up
- Communication and commercial skills
There is a compulsory additional two weeks work experience for this course.
Our beauty department has very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
You will have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position or making valuable contacts. We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own businesses.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
During the make-up course you may experience external trips or seminars with Kryolan, Mac and Bobbi Brown.
- Our Hair & Beauty department benefits from fantastic facilities that will provide you with a real-world training experience and a top education.
- Professional standard beauty and hairdressing salons that are open to the general public, providing a realistic working environment.
- The use of industry branded equipment and products, plus additional training from external companies, such as Eve Taylor.
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks.
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support.
After Level 3, you could choose to develop your knowledge and skills further by completing a specialist qualification, or a Level 2 or 3 in hairdressing, barbering or beauty therapy.
Students who achieve this qualification are eligible to become members of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) or Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT). As a specialist make-up artist, you could progress directly into a variety of employment contexts, including:
- Professional make-up artistry settings working with performers
- Theatre, film, print media, photographic studios
- Beauty and hair salons
- National health service
- Product manufacturing and training
After Level 2, you can progress to:
- FdA Theatre Arts (Make-up and Hair for Theatre and Media)
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Theatrical, Media, Hair and Make-up
- Level 2 / 3 Hairdressing
- Level 2 / 3 Barbering
- Level 2 / 3 Beauty therapy
- Level 2 African Caribbean Hair
Fees & additional costs
UK and EU students do not have to pay fees if they are under 19 on 31 August in the year they are studying. More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
For the full price course fee please contact our admissions team.
You will need to buy uniform and kit for the course (approximately £500).
Please note this is a professional course and you will be required to comply with professional standards, this includes wearing the required full uniform, removing all piercings and jewellery and refraining from wearing nail extensions and nail varnish.
alumni Views Angelique Henderson
“It was a wonderful course and I learnt a lot of tips and tricks, Rebecca was a great tutor”