Hair & Media Makeup | Level 2
Why this course?
This course is ideal if you are interested in a career as a make-up artist, providing hair and make-up services in media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries.
You will learn a variety of creative techniques, as well as communication and commercial skills which are highly valued by employers.
Our expert tutors have links with employers and industry and you will benefit from training in our brand new hair and beauty salon facilities (opened in 2021 as part of our multi-million-pound development of Central Brighton Campus).
alumni Views Angelique HendersonIt was a wonderful course and I learnt a lot of tips and tricks, Rebecca was a great tutor
Start at Level 2 if you have at least three GCSEs at grade 3 (D/E) or above in English, maths and an art subject (or a portfolio of your creative work).
If you do not have these grades you can study our Get Started in the Service Industries: Beauty and Makeup course.
In addition to the specified entry requirements, you may be required to undergo an assessment of your English skills to ensure you are at a sufficient level for your chosen course.
You will be expected to present yourselves in a professional manner, be polite and courteous. You will attend college wearing a uniform, with your hair up, nails cut short and free from varnish, and strictly no jewellery or facial jewellery is allowed. You will be expected to arrive punctual and attend all classes. These are all requirements of the awarding body.
- Makeup application
- Creating an image based on a theme
- Body art design
- Dressing and finishing hair
- Colouring hair
- Anatomy and physiology
- Face and body art painting
- Eyelash and brow treatments
- Fashion and editorial make-up
- Communication and commercial skills
- Service portfolio (does not contribute to the overall qualification grade)
- Graded practical assessments (50% of qualification grade)
- Graded synoptic assessment (20% of qualification grade)
- External examination (30% of qualification grade)
Our beauty department has very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
You will have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position or making valuable contacts. We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own businesses.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
During the make-up course you may experience external trips or seminars with Kryolan, Mac and Bobbi Brown.
- Our hair and beauty department offers brand new training facilities as part of our multi-million-pound development of Central Brighton Campus, which includes six hair & beauty salons and one state-of-the-art clinic
- Gain real-world training experience in our professional salon open to the public
- The use of industry branded equipment and products, plus additional training from external companies, such as Eve Taylor
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
After Level 3, you could choose to develop your knowledge and skills further by completing a specialist qualification, or a Level 2 or 3 in hairdressing, barbering or beauty therapy.
Students who achieve this qualification are eligible to become members of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) or Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT). As a specialist make-up artist, you could progress directly into a variety of employment contexts, including:
- Professional make-up artistry settings working with performers
- Theatre, film, print media, photographic studios
- Beauty and hair salons
- National health service
- Product manufacturing and training
After Level 2, you can progress to:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Theatrical, Media, Hair and Make-up
- Level 2 / 3 Hairdressing
- Level 2 / 3 Barbering
- Level 2 / 3 Beauty therapy
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
You will need to purchase kit for the course (approximately £500).