Carpentry and Joinery | City & Guilds Diploma in Bench Joinery | Level 2
Why this course?
At Level 2, you will choose to specialise in either Bench Joinery or Site Carpentry
Studying Bench Joinery at Brighton MET is fun, exciting and will leave you with the skills, confidence and underpinning knowledge to progress on to one of our Level 3 courses.
This vocational course is the perfect starting point for a career in carpentry. You will gain an understanding of construction in a wider context and the vital skills needed to become a bench joiner.
Our newly built construction centre provides industry-standard facilities where you can learn the vital skills that employers are looking for in the construction industry. Our industry expert teachers aim to provide a fun and exciting course that will give you the confidence and knowledge to succeed as a carpenter or joiner, as well as an understanding of the construction sector.
To study this Level 2 course you should have completed the Level 1 course in Carpentry and Joinery.
Bench joinery topics include:
- Set up and operate a circular saw
- Produce setting out details for products
- Mark out from setting out details for products
- Manufacturing bench joinery products
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Why the MET
- State-of-the-art purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre at the MET's East Campus.
- Workshop facilities mirror industry practice, using industry standard tools.
- Taught by industry experienced teachers, who have years of collective knowledge and experience between them.
- Benefit from practical project work in the local community.
- Extensive online learning provision.
- Our new purpose-built construction centre will give you a unique training facility simulating a realistic environment
- Workshops are equipped with the full range of industry standard tools and machinery
- Online access to resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
Our Carpentry and Joinery department is well known in Brighton and the South East. We work closely with local businesses and maintain relationships with a wide range of employers.
You will have the opportunity to undertake a minimum of 30 hours work experience, which will provide knowledge and experience of the work place prior to entering employment.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike and gives both businesses and students the chance to gain something valuable with long-term benefits.
Upon successful completion of this Level 2 course, you will be able to progress on to a wide range of courses at Brighton MET, including:
- Level 2 or 3 Diploma in Site Carpentry
- Level 3 Diploma in Bench Joinery
- Residential or domestic carpenters: specialise in new builds; renovation extensions and loft conversions.
- Commercial carpenters: build and remodel commercial and public buildings such as offices; hospitals and shopping malls.
- Industrial carpenters: work on civil engineering projects and in industrial settings; create and set forms for pouring concrete; build tunnel bracing; partitions and concrete forms for tunnels; bridges; dams; power plants or sewers.
- Bench joiners: work in static workshops; create jointed pieces of carpentry; paying close attention to detail and following technical drawings and plans.
- If you prefer the craft side of woodworking, you can move on to other areas such as furniture making, film set construction or even boat building.
You are required to buy steel toe capped boots - this is a requirement for entry into the workshop area.
You will also need a lever arch folder, pens, pencils and a geometry set.
Some financial help may be available on a means tested basis through our bursary team.
student Views Jordan ThomasI have really enjoyed being a part of the carpentry Department. The tutors and other members of staff have been very supportive.
student Views Harri LoughlinThe course has been really really good and I’ve learned loads.
student Views Caius Scott-HughesI’ve really enjoyed my course, I’m learning new skills all the time
alumni Views Jaz AldenThe support I got from the carpentry team was outstanding.