Barbering - City & Guilds Technical Certificate in Barbering Level 2
This course gives you the skills and confidence to pursue a career as a barber or continue studying.
Course aims and areasThis is a job ready qualification based on national occupational standards for barbering and will develop skills in a work environment, enabling you to apply to barbering positions in professional salons.
Brighton MET benefits from having its own professional salon that is open to the public and staffed by students. You will gain valuable experience of working professionally.
At the end of this qualification you will have essential skills, knowledge and experience in shampoo and hair conditioning, health and safety, cutting hair using barbering techniques, cutting facial hair to shape and dying men's hair.
- Principles and practices of hairdressing and barbering Services
- Consultation techniques and client care
- Shampoo, condition and treating hair and scalp
- Cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- Cut facial hair into shape using basic techniques
- Create basic outlines and detailing in hair
- Dry and finish men’s hair
- Create an image based on a theme
Why the MET?
The course provides real-world training facilities. You will use quality professional kits and products in professional salons with paying customers.
Our highly-skilled teachers have current industry experience and the department has strong industry and employer links.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our central campus.
Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
All 16-19 (full-time) courses are free to EU residents who are under 19 years old on the 31 August 2017. The only fees you have to pay are for specialist resources and equipment. The cost of these varies from £25 to £300 depending upon the subject you are studying.See more details
You will work commercially in Metro Hair and Beauty Salon here at Brighton MET, and have the opportunity take part in our annual hair show attended and judged by 30 local employers.
We have very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position within that company.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own businesses.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
80% of students go into full time employment or Barbering Apprenticeships with Brighton MET.
20% go on to study further at Brighton MET, where there are several progression routes from this course.
A Barbering City and Guilds Technical Certificate Level 2 will allow you to move on to studying the following courses at Brighton MET:
- Barbering City & Guilds Diploma/Apprenticeship Level 3
- Beauty Therapy VTCT Diploma Level 1 and Level 2
- Hair and Makeup Artistry VTCT Diploma Level 2
- Hair Extensions VTCT Diploma L3
- Creative Hair Design VTCT Certificate Level 3
- African Caribbean Hair
- Nail Technology VTCT Certificate Level 2
Alternatively you could start employment in the following areas:
- Level 2 / 3 barbering apprenticeship
- Fashion or media hairstyling
- Three well-equipped training salons and a commercial salon open to the public
- High-end industry standard equipment and products
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
You will be required to purchase additional kit for this course:
- Kit and uniform: approx. £300 (TBC )
- Online resource: £25
- External trip to trade show: £25
- Portfolio/stationery: £5
student Views Reece Lewis
“I enjoyed the course and feel I am a closer step to the direction I want to follow. I am a hard worker and want to progress onto the next level of an apprentice.”
alumni Views Alice Robson
“Alice has recently opened her own salon called ‘Eden’ here in the North Lanes in Brighton.”
alumni Views Simon Webster
“Simon studied Hairdressing at Brighton MET college over 30 years ago, winning our Annual Hair show in 1986.”
student Views Alfie Blackmore
“I found Barbering hard, fading needs to be added to the techniques of the course, I liked the people who attended the course.”
student Views Hamish Tinto- Cassidy
“I found the course hard at the start but then Katie came and I started doing well, I have passed my exams and I’m in the process of passing my course. I am becoming more confident.”