Beauty Therapy - VTCT Extended Diploma in Theatrical & Media Make-up Level 3 (Make-up and Hair Artistry)
This course is a technical qualification which will start you on a career providing hair and make-up services in media, theatre and fashion.
Course aims and areasThis qualification is based on the national occupational standards for theatrical and media make-up and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a make-up artist in the media, theatre, performing arts, fashion and photographic industries.
Throughout the course you will style and fit hair pieces, apply false eyelashes and understand the related cosmetic science that underpins the subject.
Develop the skills required to provide a wide range of creative make-up services in media, theatre, fashion and photographic settings whilst progressing your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy, physiology and health and safety.
In parallel, you will learn the commercial, communication and customer service skills valued by employers and develop your awareness of environmental sustainability.
- Health and safety in the salon
- Cosmetic make-up science
- Media make-up (character, special effects)
- Style and fit postiche
- Photographic make-up (period, bridal, fantasy, editorial, fashion)
- Anatomy and physiology for make-up services
- Airbrush make-up
- Cosmetic camouflage
- False eyelash application
- Style and dress hair in a variety of techniques
- Design visualisation
- Face and body art
Why the MET?
You will have access to professional commercial areas and a salon with paying customers giving you the real-world experience highly valued by employers.
Professional kits with high-quality products are available, as well as strong industry and employer links, external trips, guest speakers and product training.
Our experienced teaching staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our central campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
All 16-19 (full-time) courses are free to EU residents who are under 19 years old on the 31 August 2017. The only fees you have to pay are for specialist resources and equipment. The cost of these varies from £25 to £300 depending upon the subject you are studying.See more details
Our Beauty Department has very strong links with local employers many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students will have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position or making valuable contacts.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own businesses.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
During the make-up course you may experience trips or seminars with Kryolan, Mac and Bobbi Brown.
Learners who achieve this qualification are eligible to become members of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) or Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT). As a specialist make-up artist, learners could progress directly into employment in a variety of contexts, including:
- Professional make-up artistry settings working with performers
- Theatre, film, print media and photographic studios
- Beauty and hair salons
- Independent, self-employed, mobile and home settings
- National Health Service
- Product manufacturing and training
On successful completion of this course you may like to consider progressing onto the following courses:
- FdA Theatre Arts (Make-up & Hair for Theatre & Media)
- Level 2 / 3 Hairdressing
- Level 2 / 3 Barbering
- Level 2 / 3 Beauty therapy
- Level 2 African Caribbean Hair
- Professional standard beauty and hairdressing salons open to the general public, providing a realistic working environment
- Use of high-end, industry branded equipment and products
- Additional training from external companies, such as Eve Taylor
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
You will need to purchase kit and uniform. Cost TBC.
- Service Portfolio (does not contribute to the overall qualification grade)
- Graded Practical Assessments (50% of qualification grade)
- Graded Synoptic Assessment (20% of qualification grade)
- External Examination (30% of qualification grade)
Views Ella Mclafferty
“The tutors are all really knowledgeable and supportive and I have really enjoyed my time here. I have many transferable skills now and different career options and am looking forward to seeing what the future brings.”