Building Trades | Carpentry & Joinery City & Guilds Certificate Level 2 | Northbrook MET
Why this course?
This fun and exciting course will give you the skills and knowledge that employers are looking for.
Through project work, assignments and site visits, this course will help you develop confidence, as well as skills such as customer service and an understanding of the construction industry, including environmental issues.
The course is taught by industry-experienced tradespeople and our facilities simulate real-work environments to help prepare you for employment as a professional carpenter.
In order to join this course, you need to have completed the City & Guilds Certificate in Construction Skills (Carpentry & Joinery) Level 1.
- Carry out first fix flooring and roofing
- Carry out first fix frames, partitions and stairs
- Carry out second fixing operations
- Carry out carpentry maintenance
- Set up and operate a circular saw
- Health, safety and welfare
- Construction information and communication
Why this course at the MET?
- Newly refurbished workshops
- Facilities simulate the real workplace
- Professional tools and machinery
- Industry-experienced staff
- High tech classrooms
- Excellent links with employers
Students practical and theory work is assessed throughout the year. Students are required to produce subject specific assignments for theory before taking exams to complete each unit.
Practical training projects are assessed before progressing to a practical test.
Further study and future careers
You can progress to a Level 3 qualification, which will cover foremanship, running sites and setting up a business.
- Site carpenter
- Self-employed builder
- Residential/domestic carpenter
- Commercial premises carpenter
You do not have to pay fees if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status, or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.