Carpentry and Joinery - Level 2 Diploma (Site Carpentry)
This fun and exciting course will give you the skills and knowledge that employers are looking for.
Through project work, assignments and site visits, our industry-experienced teachers will help you develop confidence, as well as skills such as customer service and an understanding of the construction industry, including environmental issues.
In order to join this course, you need to have completed the City & Guilds Certificate in Construction Skills (Carpentry & Joinery) Level 1.
- Carry out first fix flooring and roofing
- Carry out first fix frames, partitions and stairs
- Carry out second fixing operations
- Carry out carpentry maintenance
- Set up and operate a circular saw
- Health, safety and welfare
- Construction information and communication
Why this course at the MET?
- Newly refurbished workshops
- Facilities simulate the real workplace
- Professional tools and machinery
- Industry-experienced staff
- High tech classrooms
- Excellent links with employers
Students practical and theory work is assessed throughout the year. Students are required to produce subject specific assignments for theory before taking exams to complete each unit.
Practical training projects are assessed before progressing to a practical test.
Further study and future careers
You can progress to a Level 3 qualification, which will cover foremanship, running sites and setting up a business.
- Site carpenter
- Self-employed builder
- Residential/domestic carpenter
- Commercial premises carpenter
Carpenter or joiner
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements.
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools.
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates.
- Checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level.
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
- Critical Thinking
- Active Learning
- Learning Strategies
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension