Carpentry and Joinery - Level 3 Diploma in Architectural Joinery
alumni Views Jaz AldenThe support I got from the carpentry team was outstanding.
student Views Harri LoughlinThe course has been really really good and I’ve learned loads.
student Views Caius Scott-HughesI’ve really enjoyed my course, I’m learning new skills all the time
student Views Jordan ThomasI have really enjoyed being a part of the carpentry Department. The tutors and other members of staff have been very supportive.
To study on this Level 3 course you must have completed the Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry or Bench Joinery then follow the same route at Level 3.
- First fix flooring and roofing
- Second fixing operations
- First fix roofing and stairs
- Second fixing double doors and mouldings
- Set up and use fixed and transportable machinery
- Organising, planning and pricing construction work
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Why the MET?
This course takes place at our new purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre at the MET's East Campus.
The workshop facilities mirror real industry practice, using industry standard tools.
You will be taught by industry experienced teachers, who have years of collective knowledge and experience between them.
You will also benefit from practical project work in the local community.
- Our new purpose-built construction centre will give you a unique training facility simulating a realistic environment .
- Workshops are equipped with the full range of industry standard tools and machinery .
- Industry-experienced teachers and project work with the local community .
- Online access to resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment .
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support .
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks .
- A travel agency and a hair and beauty salon, both open to the public.
Our Carpentry and Joinery department is well known in Brighton and the South East. We work closely with local businesses and maintain relationships with a wide range of employers.
You will have the opportunity to undertake a minimum of 30 hours work experience, which will provide knowledge and experience of the work place prior to entering employment.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike and gives both businesses and students the chance to gain something valuable with long-term benefits.
You can progress to specialist part-time qualifications at Levels 2 and 3, or to a Level 4 construction course.
This course can lead to the following careers:
- Residential or domestic carpenters: specialise in new builds; renovation extensions and loft conversions.
- Commercial carpenters: build and remodel commercial and public buildings such as offices, hospitals and shopping malls.
- Industrial carpenters: work on civil engineering projects and in industrial settings; create and set forms for pouring concrete; build tunnel bracing; partitions and concrete forms for tunnels; bridges; dams; power plants or sewers.
- Bench joiners: work in static workshops, create jointed pieces of carpentry; paying close attention to detail and following technical drawings and plans.
The course fee for 21/22 entry is £3,345.00.
You do not have to pay fees if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
Level 3 entitlement
Course is free if you meet the following criteria
If you will be aged 19-23 when your course begins and you have not already achieved a full Level 3 or above, you may not have to pay any fees. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
Lifetime Skills Guarantee
The Lifetime Skills Guarantee is part of the government's National Skills Fund, designed to help adults to gain the skills they need for employment and to improve their job prospects.
If you are 19+ and this is your first full Level 3 qualification, you may be able to study this course for free. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: email@example.com | 01273 667704
Advanced Learner Loan
You may be eligible to apply for a loan to meet the course costs of your qualification fees. This is paid directly to the College on your behalf. For more information about Advanced Learner Loans, please click here.
You are required to buy steel toe capped boots - this is a requirement for entry into the workshop area.
You will also need a lever arch folder, pens, pencils and a geometry set.
Some financial help may be available on a means tested basis through our bursary team.