Building Trades | Bricklaying City & Guilds Certificate Level 1 | Northbrook MET
Why this course?
Bricklayers are currently in high demand and are well paid. This fun and exciting course will give you the skills and knowledge you will need to start your career as a bricklayer and prepare you for employment in the industry.
The course is taught by industry-experienced tradespeople in our purpose-built Centre of Excellence for Brickwork and our facilities simulate real work environments, with workshops designed to provide a learning experience that will prepare you for employment.
You will work alongside students studying other construction and engineering trades and benefit from this unique learning environment.
To start at Level 1, you should have at least two GCSEs at grade 2 (F) or above, preferably including English and maths.
If you do not have the required entry grades you may be suited to an Inclusion Pathfinders course.
- Half brick walling
- Block walling
- Half brick return corners
- Cavity walls in brickwork
- One brick walling
- Health and safety
- The construction industry
Why this course at the MET?
- Students regularly win top prizes from the Guild of Bricklayers
- Highly experienced and qualified staff
- State-of-the-art IT facilities make theory learning interactive and fun
Broadwater Campus has excellent facilities, including our coffee shop (serving Starbucks beverages), canteen (hot and cold food and drink), Learning Resource Centre (Library) and access to research and IT facilities. Classrooms are equipped with projectors and screens to enhance your learning.
After Level 1, you can progress to Level 2, either full-time or as an apprentice.
- Master bricklayer
- Team supervisor
- Self-employed builder
Bricklayer or mason
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements.
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels.
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed.
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone.
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
- Critical Thinking
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension
- Learning Strategies
- Active Learning