Motor Vehicle Maintenance | Level 1
Why this course?
On this vehicle maintenance course you will learn about the functions of the complex systems within today’s vehicles, developing practical and diagnostic skills. You will learn how these systems integrate with each other to operate to the manufacturer’s specification.
The practical approach of the course will develop your hands on diagnostic skills. The classes are mainly practical with weekly theory sessions.
The tutors and technicians are all industry-experienced, giving them the insight and knowledge needed to prepare you for employment, further study or an apprenticeship.
Our Shoreham Airport Campus offers a truly unique learning experience; Motorsport, Aero and Motor Vehicle students work in hangars, workshops and high-tech classrooms equipped with the very latest tools, machinery and software.
Start at Level 1 if you have at least two GCSEs at grade 2 (F) or above, preferably including English and maths.
If you do not meet these entry requirements you may be interested in an Inclusion Pathfinders course.
- Health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- Introduction to vehicle technology and workshop methods and processes
- Basic routine vehicle maintenance
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- Engine lubrication systems
- Engine cooling systems
- Braking Systems
- Wheels and tyre systems
Why this course at the MET?
- Facilities simulate real work environments
- Industry-standard diagnostic equipment
- Taught by experienced industry experts
Surrounded by a busy, working airport and numerous engineering and parts companies, the Shoreham Campus provides a real-world environment in which to study.
The campus has a cafeteria serving hot and cold food, and facilities also include a library, and IT suites for your research projects.
Further study and careers
After Level 1, you can progress to the Level 2 course, either full-time or as an apprentice (90% attendance record required).
- Dealership mechanic
- Diagnostic technician
- MOT tester
- Auto electrician
- Roadside assistance technician
- Parts advisor
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704