Carpentry and Joinery | City & Guilds Certificate in Construction Skills Level 1
Why this course?
This course is ideal for those looking to enter the construction industry, specifically in the carpentry and joinery area. You will learn a wide range of skills on this course that can lead you to further study or take you into the industry.
Our £9m Construction and Trades Centre provides excellent industry-standard facilities where you will learn the vital skills that employers are looking for.
Our expert teaching staff will give you the confidence and knowledge to succeed in carpentry and joinery careers, as well as an overall understanding of the construction industry.
To join this Level 1 course, you must have completed secondary school education and have a satisfactory six week review. Please contact us if you are unsure which Level to apply for.
This course will have Health and Safety and Building Principals as core units and will then be made up of Carpentry and Joinery units.
There will be an emphasis on practical activities that will be backed up with some theory.
Why the MET?
This course takes place at our new purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre at the MET's East Brighton Campus.
Our workshop facilities mirror real industry practice, using industry-standard tools.
You will be taught by expert teachers who have years of collective knowledge and experience between them.
You will also benefit from practical project work in the local community.
Facilities at Brighton MET
- Our new purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre will give you a unique training facility simulating a realistic environment
- Workshops are equipped with the full range of industry-standard tools and machinery
- Online access to resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Our Multi-trades department is well known in Brighton and the South East. We work closely with local businesses and maintain relationships with a wide range of employers.
You will have the opportunity to undertake a minimum of 30 hours work experience, providing knowledge and experience of the workplace before progressing to employment.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
Upon successful completion of this Level 1 course you will be able to progress on to a wide range of courses at Brighton MET, including:
- Level 2 CSkills Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery
- Level 1 CSkills Carpentry and Joinery
Future careers include:
- Renovation (also called remodelling) - the process of improving a broken, damaged or outdated structure
- Building maintenance operative in commercial buildings (small and large office buildings, large industrial properties, shopping centres and retail units) and residential buildings (houses, flats and high-rise apartments)
You will be required to buy steel toe-capped boots as this is a requirement for entry into the workshop area.
You will also need a lever arch folder, pens pencils and a geometry set.
Some financial help may be available on a means tested basis through our bursary team.