Current Covid-19 health & safety measures
Following a rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in our local areas, and after a recommendation from the local Public Health authority, we have decided to reintroduce the need for face coverings to be worn in all communal spaces and for close contact working from Monday 29 November unless you are exempt. This requirement will stay in place until further notice. Your teacher or Learning Support Assistant will let you know if you are required to wear a face covering in your classroom, workshop or studio.
The Government have announced that all healthy 16 and 17 year olds should be offered a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
If you are aged 16 or over, you can now:
- book your COVID-19 vaccination appointments online for an appointment at a vaccination centre or pharmacy.
- find a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination site to get vaccinated without needing an appointment.
If you cannot book appointments online, you can call 119 free of charge. You can speak to a translator if you need to.
See the NHS website for more information.
With the numbers of new positive test results remaining high locally and nationally we wanted to remind you of when to take a test and where tests can be collected from on our campuses.
I don’t have any symptoms of Covid-19
Up to one in three people who have Covid-19 can spread the virus without knowing. This is because they have no symptoms (gov.uk, 2021).
If you have no symptoms, please continue to test yourself twice a week with a lateral flow test. All results should be reported to NHS Test and Trace.
Lateral flow tests should be carried out at home the evening before you come to college or that morning, they should not be done whilst in college. Tests should be evenly spaced out such as on Sundays and Wednesdays.
If your result is positive:
- Book a PCR test to confirm the result
- Follow the guidance from NHS Test and Trace.
- Please also email H&S@gbmc.ac.uk, your tutor and complete this form.
Lateral flow test kits are available from the reception desk at each of our campuses.
I have symptoms of Covid-19
Get a PCR test as soon as possible if you have any of the following symptoms, even if they are mild:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Do not come into college if you have symptoms whilst you wait for your PCR results.
Stay at home until you get your test result – only leave your home to have a test.
The following health & safety measures remain in place
- Staff and students are asked to regularly wash or sanitise their hands.
- Adequate ventilation is in place within each room.
- Touched surfaces (such as doors) are cleaned regularly throughout the College day.
- Staff and students are asked to wipe down desks and equipment at the end of each lesson.
- Both staff and students should continue to test themselves twice a week using home test kits - these are available from each reception desk. Test results (positive, negative and void) should be reported to both the College and the NHS.
- Absences related to Covid-19 are reported separately from the usual absence procedure, via this form.
All of our measures are kept under regular review and may change in response to local and national advice and guidance. Staff and students will be updated with any changes via their college emails.