Costume for Performance & Film - FdA (Foundation Degree)/BA (Hons) Degree
This specialist course focuses on costume design and construction for the entertainment industry. It develops skills in design through character exploration and illustration techniques.
- Course includes design, construction and supervision skills
- Opportunities to work on live and filmed performance
- Excellent industry links and high-profile work placement opportunities
- Cross-course collaboration with actors, directors, make-up artists, set designers
- Optional third year to gain BA (Hons) degree
Portfolio and interview.
Individual offer conditions will vary. Normally a relevant A Level or Level 3 Extended Diploma.
Industry experience may be taken into account.
Cross-college entry guide
Making techniques taught include period pattern cutting on the flat and on the stand (underpinned by history of costume sessions), design for dance (stretch), tailoring and millinery.
There are opportunities to supervise shows (organise and oversee the production) and train in fabric manipulation, printing, dyeing, breaking down and ageing.
The course is structured to offer an equal quantity of individual projects and production practice on a wide range of internal productions and external commissions.
Work experience underpins the training into the second year of the course and opportunities are available to work across theatre, TV, film and events.
On successful completion of the two-year FdA course, students can either progress to the third year BA top-up course, or enter employment.
- Costume designer for film, theatre, events
- Costume maker, milliner, tailor
- Costume supervisor
- Dyeing, printing and breaking down specialist
Our alumni work on high-profile shows and films.