Counselling (Helping Skills) | NCFE Award | Level 2
Why this course?
This course will help you build upon and consolidate your interpersonal skills and knowledge. It is also designed to further careers in counselling, health and social care, childcare, or learning and development. You will learn effective communication skills and engage in a one-to-one helping relationship.
The mandatory units for this course are:
- Using counselling skills
- Introduction to counselling skills theories
- Diversity and ethics in the use of counselling skills
- Counselling skills and personal development
Click here to see fee information.
|FE1060-1C||04 May 2022||Central Brighton||Wednesdays 5.30pm-9.00pm||11 weeks||£199.00|
|FE1069-1C||04 May 2022||Central Brighton||Wednesdays 9.30am-1.00pm||11 weeks||£199.00|
|FE1059-1C||16 May 2022||Central Brighton||Mondays 5.30pm-9.00pm||10 weeks||£199.00|
|FE1055-1C||14 Sep 2022||Central Brighton||Wednesday 5.30pm-9.0pm||10 weeks||£209.00||Apply|
|FE1054-1C||19 Sep 2022||Central Brighton||Monday 5.30pm-9.0pm||10 weeks||£209.00||Apply|
- You must be 18+
- The readiness for the course will be assessed during an interview
- Successful completion of Level 1 Counselling course or relevant experience is necessary to start Level 2 Counselling course.
This course takes place once a week for 10 weeks, with one Saturday workshop included. We offer a daytime and evening option for this course, see the main course page for further information.
For the duration of the course you will be expected to dedicate time outside of class for assignments:
Weeks 1-4: One hour per week.
Weeks 5-10: Two to three hours per week
Facilities at the MET
- Access to quality teaching resources, rooms and studios
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
- A travel agency and a hair and beauty salon which are both open to the public and offer exceptional value
As this is a skills-based course, you are required to have relevant work experience prior to starting the course. There is no direct work experience organised by the College but the majority of students continue working while applying their skills learnt on the course.
On successful completion of this course, you may wish to progress to the NCFE Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills and Theory.
Alternatively, you could also progress to:
- Level 2 and 3 qualifications in Conflict Management
- Level 2 and 3 qualifications in Health Care and/or Health and Social Care
- Level 3 Certificates in Counselling Skills and Theory/Developing Counselling
Or use the transferable skills to study:
- Level 2 NVQ in Advice and Guidance Support
- Level 3 NVQ in Advice and Guidance
- Level 3 qualifications in Workplace Mentoring
The course will not qualify you to be a counsellor, but may help you to decide whether or not to continue training as one.
You may not have to pay any fees if you will be aged 19 or over when you begin this course and:
- You are in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- OR you are receiving a means-tested benefit, earning less than £343 per month (take home) if you are a sole claimant or £549 a month if you have a joint claim with your partner, and are completing the course to improve your employability
- OR if you are working and earn less than £17,004 per year (gross pay)
You will need to provide evidence and sign a declaration when you enrol.
If the above does not apply to you, you may still be eligible for a subsidised fee. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
If you are not a UK citizen, do not hold EU Settlement Status nor have a visa that could qualify you for home status, you are still welcome to enrol on this course. Please note that fees for international students on this course are £442.00. To apply, please email email@example.com stating the course code.