Early Years & Childcare | NCFE Diploma for the Early Years Practitioner | Level 2
Why this course?
Our childcare department has an excellent track record of student progression to employment or university. During this course, you will learn about caring for children from birth to seven years of age, linking classroom theory with hands-on experience through regular work placements. This experience will provide you with the skills and confidence required for this challenging and rewarding industry.
The MET is proud to work within the local community and has excellent links with industry, including hospitals, schools and nurseries, where students will experience first-hand the childcare sector. Regular placements with these institutions give our students the opportunity to work with professional future employers and gain the skills and confidence required for this rewarding industry. On campus, our students enjoy spacious and well-equipped classrooms and access to fantastic IT facilities.
Our tutors have wide ranging experience which supports their teaching, including roles as school governors, early years teachers, nursery nurse/playgroup supervisors and first aid practitioners.
Start at Level 2 if you have at least three GCSEs at grade 3 (D/E) or above, including English and maths.
If you do not qualify for Level 2, you can start on our Level 1 Early Years & Childcare course and then progress to Level 2 after that.
- Human and lifespan development
- Health and social care values
- Effective communication in health and social care
- Healthy living and the impact of nutrition
- Creative and therapeutic activities
- Care of children
- Play and practical activities
- Personal development
Why the MET?
- High-quality work placement opportunities in a range of settings, so you can experience multiple aspects of early years
- Good levels of progression to employment and apprenticeships
- Well-known and respected qualification by employers
- Support in gaining employment, including help with CV writing
- Many of our students gain employment at their placement, when they leave college
- Inspirational guest speakers and industry related trips and visits
- Industry-experienced teaching staff who are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims
We have excellent links and partnerships with local employers to ensure we can place you in a suitable setting that fits your needs and career aspirations.
You will develop work-related skills, knowledge and understanding as well as experience employment within the childcare sector.
Northbrook MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas. This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
Upon completion, you can continue on to the Level 3 Certificate and Diploma in Childcare and Education or start an apprenticeship. Alternatively you can seek employment, with a licence to practise at Level 2.
Future careers include:
- Nursery worker
- Nursery nurse
- Teaching assistant
- Primary school teacher
- Social worker
- Children's holiday rep
UK and EU students do not have to pay fees if they are under 19 on 31 August in the year they are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
You may have to purchase a placement uniform and it is advised you purchase a textbook costing £25. Some financial help may be available.