Electrical Installation | Level 1
Why this course?
If you are interested in a career in the electrical industry, then these courses are a starting point to gain the experience and knowledge required before becoming a qualified electrician. Using a mix of taught sessions and project work, you will learn how to fabricate containment, install and terminate cables, inspect and test electrical installations, and diagnose and rectify electrical faults, as well as learning the underpinning industry regulations and electrical science. The course provides:
- Purpose built construction and trades centre
- Industry-standard facilities and equipment
- Expert lecturers with years of experience
- Opportunities for work experience
To start at Level 1 you should have at least 2 GCSEs at grade 2 (F) or above, preferably including English and maths.
If you do not have these grades, you can start on our Construction Foundation course and then progress to this level. Contact us if you are unsure which Level to apply for.
About this course
You will work in the purpose built Construction and Trades Centre in a real work environment.
You will be taught by highly-experienced teachers who have years of collective knowledge and industry experience between them.
Our experienced teaching staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims. The course also provides links with local employers.
- Cables and accessories
- Trunking, tray and conduit systems
- Health and safety
- The construction industry
- Sustainability in domestic dwellings
- Electrical science and technology
- Purpose-built electrical department at the new Construction and Trades Centre which provides a real work environment and industry-standard facilities.
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
You are expected to seek employment within the industry and will be given support to achieve this.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
After Level 1, you can progress to Level 2, either full-time or as an apprentice.
Future careers include:
- Electrical engineer
- Industrial installer
- Project manager
- Self employment
Course fees and finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704
You will need to purchase a textbook, specific stationery and tools, along with protective clothing and equipment.