General Engineering - part-time HNC
90% of students on this part-time course are work-based learners who are gaining this qualification to gain progression in their company or to qualify when applying for new posts.The main aims and learning objectives of the programme are to:
- Provide a specialist vocational programme linked to a sector-related emphasis on practical skills development alongside the development of knowledge and understanding.
- Provide a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in engineering
- Provide a progression opportunity to HND
Through their links with employment students will be able to draw on their underpinning sector knowledge and extend and apply this to the theoretical and practical concepts delivered in this programme.
The Broadwater campus offers excellent, modern workshop environments staffed by tutors with industry backgrounds. Very good pass rates are achieved year on year.
Our Engineering department benefits from several fantastic facilities that will provide a real-world training experience. These include professional standard machinery and software systems and recently rebuilt accommodation with investments in new machinery.
BTEC National Cert or Dip in Engineering, or other related BTEC Level 3 qualification, or appropriate A Level, or related work experience plus maths assessment at interview.
Please complete a personal statement with your application (under 'My evidence' in the online application form).
The Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in General Engineering (RQF) have been developed to focus on:
- The education and training of mechanical engineers/technicians who are employed at a professional level in a variety of types of technical work, such as in: electrical, electronic or communication design, manufacture, maintenance and technical services areas of the engineering industry
- Providing opportunities for mechanical engineers/technicians to achieve a nationally recognised Level 4 or Level 5 vocationally specific qualification
- Providing opportunities for learners to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment as an engineer/technician or progress to higher education vocational qualifications, such as a full or part-time degree in mechanical engineering or related area
- Providing opportunities for learners to focus on the development of the higher level skills in a technological and management context
- Providing opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills and techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
Course module list:
- Engineering maths
- Engineering science
- Workshop practices
- Materials properties and testing
- Engineering design
- Managing a professional engineering project
- Mechanical principals
- CAD for maintenance engineering
On completion of the HNC qualification, students may progress to an HND course.
- Research and development engineer
- Production management
- Design engineering
- Production or test engineer