Hairdressing | Level 1
Why this course?
Studying hairdressing at Brighton MET is hands-on, exciting and will leave you with the skills, confidence and experience to progress to employment or further study. Training in our professional salons, you will develop your skills in customer service, communication and commerciality, preparing you for work in salons, hotels, airlines, cruise liners and department stores in the UK or overseas.
On this course, you will:
- develop transferable service industry skills
- train in brand new salon facilities
- gain practical experience in a realistic commercial environment
This course supports you in developing your self-esteem and includes careers guidance and skills such as how to apply for jobs and do well in an interview. Upon successful completion of this course, you will have the knowledge and confidence needed to progress on to a higher level service industry course.
student Views Shopna BegumThis course has helped me to learn new skills and meet others. I have learned to work with others including customers. I can put up hair in a variety of styles including plaiting and different techniques. I know how to set and style hair and much more.
student Views Louise FordI've enjoyed making people happy and smile. If people are having a bad time, having their hair done will make them feel better. This course has given me more confidence. I like doing Hairdressing.
student Views Heidi GreenI have learned how important attendance and punctuality is and am building my confidence with clients, learning new techniques, and discovering skills that I will make a career out of. Best thing I did was apply for this course!
alumni Views Alice RobsonAlice has recently opened her own salon called ‘Eden’ here in the North Laine in Brighton.
alumni Views Simon WebsterSimon is a is a UK Guest Artist for KMSHair, a member of The Fellowship For British Hairdressing and freelance educator. He studied Hairdressing at Brighton MET college over 30 years ago, winning our Annual Hair show in 1986.
Start at Level 1 if you have at least 2 GCSEs at grade 2 (F) or above, preferably including English and maths. You can then progress on to a Level 2 qualification.
In addition to the specified entry requirements, you may be required to undergo an assessment of your English skills to ensure you are at a sufficient level for your chosen course.
- Introduction to the hair and beauty sector
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
- Health and safety in the salon
- Working with others
- Shampoo, condition and treat hair and scalp
- Create an image using colour in the hair and beauty sector
- Styling women’s hair
- Styling men’s hair
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Salon reception duties
- The art of dressing hair
- The art of colouring hair
- Service portfolio contributes to the overall grade
- Graded practical assessment - pass, merit, and distinction
- No exams - all units have to have relative completed assignment - 100% of qualification grade
- The overall qualification is graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction
- Brand new suite of training salons and commercial salon open to the public
- High-end industry standard equipment and products
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Why the MET?
The course provides real-world training in our brand new salons at Central Brighton Campus (opened in 2021 as part of our multi-million-pound development), providing you with the hands-on experience you need to launch successful careers. In addition, there is a dedicated mixing room for tints and you'll use high-quality professional kits and products in professional salons with paying customers.
Our highly-skilled teachers have current industry experience and the department has strong industry and employer links. Throughout the course you will benefit from guest speakers and additional training from external companies, such as Wella and Balmain.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our central campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
You will work commercially in Metro Hair and Beauty Salon here at Brighton MET, and have the opportunity to take part in our annual hair show attended and judged by 30 local employers.
We have very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position within that company.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own businesses.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
Upon successful completion of this level 1 course you can progress to one of the MET's level 2 courses in hairdressing or barbering, either full time or as an apprentice.
Future careers can include:
- Salon stylist
- Hotel/cruise hairdresser
- Department store hairdresser
- Senior stylist
- Freelance hairdresser
- Salon owner
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704
You will be required to purchase additional kit for this course:
- Kit and uniform: approx. £350 (TBC)
- Online resource: £25
- External trip to trade show: £25
- Portfolio/stationery: £5