Opening Doors | Digital Skills
Why this course?
This Level 1 course will give you the confidence to use a range of digital tools that will support you to progress in your work and in life in general. You will receive a certificate of achievement to evidence that you have attained the Level 1 National standards for digital skills.
What skills, knowledge, or understanding does this qualification develop?
- Using devices and handling information – you will learn how to manage and store information and how to solve basic technical issues.
- Creating and editing – you will learn how to create and edit images, audio files and videos.
- Communicating – you will learn how to communicate through email and video calls for a range of contexts and audiences.
- Transacting – you will learn how to submit an online form and purchase an item or service online. You’ll also learn how to compare products against other available online options and manage your transactional account settings.
- Being safe and responsible online – you’ll learn about privacy and data protection and backing up data
No previous formal qualifications are required for entry to these qualifications. Learners should normally have English skills at the level below their chosen qualification.
The DfE national standards in essential digital skills acknowledges that some adults may need support to handle and use digital devices for the first time and learn the following foundation skills before enrolling on an entry level course.
• Turning on a device (including entering and updating any account information safely, such as a password)
• Using the available controls on a device (such as a mouse and keyboard for a computer, or touchscreen on a smartphone or tablet)
• use of accessibility tools (including assistive technology) to make devices easier to use (such as changing display settings to make content easier to read)
• Interacting with the home screen on a device
• Connecting to the internet (including Wi-Fi) safely and securely, and opening a browser
• Opening and accessing an application on a device.
Centres should carry out a initial assessment of each learner prior to the start of the qualification to identify their current digital skills capabilities and areas for development.
Our Opening Doors courses are free to those currently unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit.
You will need to provide evidence of your benefit in order to receive a fee waiver for this course.
We accept the following Means Tested benefits for this course:
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Council Tax Benefit (not reduction)
- Pension Credit
Please note we cannot accept DLA, Carers Allowance, PIP or Tax Credits.
This course is free to those who are currently employed and earning less than £17,374.50 annual gross salary. You will be required to provide evidence of this in order to receive a fee waiver for this course.
We accept the following evidence:
- Last 3 months payslips
- Tax Credit notice (for self employed)
Please note you will also need to bring photo ID to your enrolment.