The College will be carrying out essential maintenance all day on Wednesday 11 December. During these works, online enrolments and applications will not be available. If you would like to apply, please leave your details via the form on our website and we will get back to you once our services are available again. Click here for more information.
Formerly City College Brighton and Hove and Northbrook College

Visas and immigration

Support for short-term and Tier 4 visa students

Which visa should you apply for?

Greater Brighton Metropolitan College (formerly City College Brighton & Hove and Northbrook College) is a Home Office Tier 4 sponsor which means we can sponsor student visas for English Language courses and full-time courses above RQF level 3.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

Short-term Study Visa

What courses can Brighton MET sponsor me for?

- Higher Education Courses

- International Foundation Programmes
- Vocational courses above RQF level 3
- English Language courses with a minimum of 15 hours per week daytime study

- English Language courses up to 11 months.
- Any subject course for less than 6 months.

What level of English do I need to have to apply?

You need to have an IELTS for UKVI certificate that is still within its validity date, and that shows you achieved at least CEFR level B1 in all 4 components (reading, writing, speaking and listening).

Any level of English, entry requirements may apply.

How long can I study in the UK?

You can study in the UK below bachelor's degree level for a maximum of 2 years. Your Tier 4 visa will initially be granted for the length of your course plus:

-one week for courses under 6 months
-two months for courses between 6 and 12 months
-four months for courses over 12 months

You can study in the UK for a maximum of 6 months (or 11 months if you are coming to study English only).

Can I extend my visa in the UK?

NO. You will have to return home to apply for a new Tier 4 General Visa for a different course.

YES- If your current UK Visa is a Tier 4 Child Student Visa and your new course starts no more than 28 days after the end of your current visa.

NO.  You must leave the UK when your visa expires.

Can I work?

NO. You will not be permitted to work on a Tier 4 General Student Visa sponsored by GB MET.

NO. You cannot work paid or unpaid

Can I study part-time? 

NO. Your course must involve at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study. 'Daytime' is 08:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday.   

YES. You can choose to study full time or part time. The course does not need to lead to a qualification.

How much does the visa cost?

Approx. £348

Approx. £97 (up to six months)
Approx. £186 (up to 11 months – English language courses only)

Other costs and information

Additional costs may be payable depending on the visa type, nationality, length of stay etc., such as the international health surcharge, TB testing and police registration. 
For the most up to date information on student visas please visit the UK government's services and information website: 

Find out more about international courses at the MET

Search our courses
Stay connected

Contact us

To find out more, contact our international team