Catering & Hospitality | City & Guilds Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery | Level 1
Why this course?
This course will help you progress to advanced chef training or start your cookery career. You will explore food and product development, and learn the technical skills required for professional preparation of vegetables, meat, poultry, game and fish. To gain experience of a real working environment, you will work in our training restaurant and complete a work placement. This course will also develop your customer and food service skills including bar service, silver service and table theatre in our on-site restaurant.
- Train in professional industry-standard kitchens
- Tutors with industry experience
- Visits to hotels and restaurants
- Serving experience in our public restaurant
At Level 1 and 2 you will study a combination of food and beverage service and at Level 3 you can specialise in your preferred area.
alumni Views Isaac Bartlett CopelandCollege was an inspiring place, it opened my eyes to the future and unlocked my potential. Being surrounded by like minded people and lecturers who had the experience to develop and push me forward, opened up amazing opportunities for my career.
alumni Views George MartinBrighton MET was the stepping-stone to my future. Without the college, training and support I received I would not be where I am today.
student Views Robert WoodI have had a thoroughly positive experience at Brighton MET this year, the Lecturers were friendly and welcoming, my fellow students were well behaved and the course was informative and effective.
At least two GCSEs at grade 2 or above, preferably including English and maths.
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- How to prepare and cook a wide variety of dishes, desserts and dough products
- Front-of-house knowledge and skills development
- Develop skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
Why the MET?
You will train in professional standard kitchens and experience a realistic working environment within our public restaurant.
Our catering and hospitality tutors have vast industry and vocational experience.
The department has excellent employment links with the local catering and hospitality industry.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our central campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
- Professional standard kitchens with the equipment and facilities to train students in a realistic industry environment.
- Access to Brighton MET's public restaurant - The Gallery.
- Working with Catering and Hospitality tutors, who have vast industry and vocational experience.
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment.
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support.
Individual and multiple dish practical assessments. Written assignments and short answer question papers
Brighton MET's Catering and Hospitality Department is respected throughout Brighton as a leading provider of quality staff to the industry.
We work closely with a range of employers across the region and have work experience opportunities with many of the city’s top establishments, including the Grand Hotel, Isaac At, Pike and Pine, The Set and many more.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike and gives both businesses and students the chance to gain something valuable with long-term benefits..
On successful completion of this Level 2 Diploma, you may continue your studies at Brighton MET and move on to the Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery.
Whilst most students will progress to one of the Level 3 Diplomas, some look to enter the workplace via a Level 3 Diploma Apprenticeship or commence employment in the catering and hospitality on a full-time basis.
Future careers include:
- Chef de partie
- Sous chef
- Head chef
- Restaurant manager
- Front of house
Course Costs & Additional Fees
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
All students will have to purchase a uniform and professional equipment. Some financial help may be available.
Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704