Motor Vehicle | Automotive or Motorsport Engineering Technology IMI Diploma Level 2 | Northbrook MET
Why this course?
This course will prepare you for roles in engineering, design, production, testing and management in the exciting world of motorsport.
You will gain practical skills with a range of vehicle systems as well as theoretical knowledge, including scientific and mathematical principles and electronics. You will learn how to remove and replace vehicle components and gain an understanding of vehicle maths and science.
The course includes attending professional race meetings and in addition to investigating current technologies, you will become familiar with the industry structure and motorsport event regulations.
Our Shoreham Airport Campus offers a truly unique learning experience; Motorsport, Aero and Motor Vehicle students work in hangars, workshops and high-tech classrooms equipped with the very latest tools, machinery and software.
To start on this Level 2 course you need GCSE maths and science at grade 4 (C) or above and English at grade 3 or above.
- Mechanical, lubrication and cooling systems
- Fuel, ignition, air and exhaust systems
- Remove/replace chassis components
- Remove/replace electrical components
- Remove/replace transmissions and driveline units
- Vehicle maths and science
- Motorsport event regulations
- Inspecting a vehicle during competition
Why this course at the MET?
- Both practical and theoretical learning
- Attend professional race meetings
- Courses up to degree level
- Internationally recognised qualifications
Surrounded by a busy, working airport and numerous engineering and parts companies, the Shoreham Campus provides a real-world environment in which to study. The tutors and technicians are all industry-experienced, giving them the insight and knowledge needed to prepare you for employment, further study or an apprenticeship.
The campus has a cafeteria serving hot and cold food, and facilities also include a library, and IT suites for your research projects.
After Level 2, you can progress to Level 3 - you will need an 80% attendance record and a pass with merit profile. English and maths are also required.
- Auto/motorsport design engineer
- Research and development engineer
- Racing team technician
- Pit crew
- Production/test engineer
- Technical representative