Opening Doors | BTEC Health and Social Care | Level 1
Why this course?
Are you interested in beginning a new career working with, supporting or caring for people?
This introductory course is aimed at people who may have been made redundant, are changing careers, returning to work or are unsure about their future career direction. This course enables you to achieve a Level 1 Award in Health and Social Care, leading on to level 2 courses and perfect for people looking to work in the health or social care sector, or who simply want to work in a role supporting other people. The course is taught by an experienced tutor and health professional, providing you with individual support to assist you in finding the right path for your career and life.
- Week 1: Job opportunities in health & social care
- Week 2: Investigating rights and responsibilities in health & social care
- Week 3: Health & social care needs
Assessment: a short assignment on each topic is required for the qualification.
Duration: 3 weeks. Courses run from Monday - Thursday.
Hear from our tutor about this course:
Listen to what our alumni Kane Major has to say about why he would recommend this course:
This course is free to those who meet the eligibility criteria. Please see the Cost & Finance tab for more information.
If the following criteria apply, you qualify for one our free Opening Doors programmes.
Unemployed and claiming a means tested benefit (see Cost & Finance tab for more information)
Employed and earning less than £17,004.00 per annum
Currently seeking work
Progression and career opportunities
Upon successful completion of this Level 1 course you will be able to progress on to further study or seek employment.
Since September 2020:
- 70% of students on the Health and Social Care Level 1 course have progressed onto Level 2 courses as well as other courses such as "Think Ahead" Fast track Mental Health Social Worker training
- 35% if students have progressed into employment
Current new jobs for students who completed the course include:
- Therapy Assistant, Responsive Services NHS
- Health Care Assistant (various nursing homes)
- Advisor for a homeless hostel
Our Opening Doors courses are free to those currently unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit.
You will need to provide evidence of your benefit in order to receive a fee waiver for this course.
We accept the following Means Tested benefits for this course:
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Council Tax Benefit (not reduction)
- Pension Credit
Please note we cannot accept DLA, Carers Allowance, PIP or Tax Credits.
This course is also free to those who are currently employed and earning less than £17,0004 per annum. You will be required to provide evidence of this in order to receive a fee waiver for this course.
We accept the following evidence:
- Last 3 months payslips
- Tax Credit notice (for self employed)
Please note you will also need to bring photo ID to your enrolment.