Painting and Decorating | NOCN Diploma Level 3 | Brighton MET
Why this course?
This course develops and extends the skills learned on our Level 2 course and is ideal for those wanting to progress to a career in the construction industry. You will learn advanced skills and techniques in painting and decorating as well as gaining further understanding of the overall industry.
Our newly-built Construction and Trades Centre provides industry-standard facilities where you can learn the vital skills that employers are looking for.
Our expert teaching staff will give you the confidence and knowledge to succeed as a painter and decorator, as well as an understanding of the construction industry.
To start at Level 3 you must have a Level 2 Painting and Decorating qualification
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
- Understanding construction technology
- Apply coatings by brush and roller
- Apply wall coverings to ceilings and walls
- Produce advanced decorative finishes
- Carry out specialist architectural feature work
- Apply water-borne paint systems using airless equipment
- Prepare surfaces for protection and decoration
Why the MET?
This course takes place at our new purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre at the MET's East Brighton Campus.
Our workshop facilities mirror real industry practice, using industry-standard tools.
You will be taught by expert teachers who have years of collective knowledge and experience between them.
You will also benefit from practical project work in the local community.
Facilities at Brighton MET
- Our new purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre will give you a unique training facility simulating a realistic environment
- Workshops are equipped with the full range of industry-standard tools and machinery
- Online access to resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Our Multi-trades department is well known in Brighton and the South East. We work closely with local businesses and maintain relationships with a wide range of employers.
You will have the opportunity to undertake a minimum of 30 hours work experience, providing knowledge and experience of the workplace before progressing to employment.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
Upon successful completion of this Level 3 course you will be able to progress on to a wide range of courses at Brighton MET including:
- Level 3 Cskills Awards Diploma in Decorative Finishing
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Building Maintenance, Multi-trade Repair and Refurbishment Operations
- Level 1 Cskills Awards Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery
Future careers include:
- Renovation (also called remodelling) - the process of improving a broken, damaged or outdated structure
- Building maintenance operative in commercial buildings (small and large office buildings, large industrial properties, shopping centres and retail units) and residential buildings (houses, flats and high-rise apartments)
- With experience, you could become a team supervisor or set up your own business
Course fees and finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704
You will be required to buy steel toe-capped boots as this is a requirement for entry into the workshop area.
You will also need a lever arch folder, pens pencils and a geometry set.
Some financial help may be available on a means tested basis through our bursary team.