Plumbing | Level 1
Why this course?
The growing UK plumbing industry offers financially rewarding careers. This course will equip you with the practical skills and knowledge needed to work in the plumbing industry and is designed to kick-start your career in plumbing or lead onto an apprenticeship.
The course includes work experience, enrichment activities and project work. You will learn about the structure of the construction industry, health and safety, and site preparation. The course involves both practical and theoretical learning.
To join this Level 1 course you must have at least 2 GCSEs grade 9-2 (A*-F) or equivalent.
An interview is required.
If you do not have these grades, you can start on our Construction Foundation course. Contact us if you are unsure which Level to apply for.
- Structure of the construction industry
- Fundamental safe working practices
- Environmental and sustainability measures in domestic dwellings
- Site preparation for working in the construction industry
- Copper pipework
- Plastic pipework
- Low carbon steel pipework
- Installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems
Why the MET?
This course takes place at our purpose-built Construction and Trades Centre at the MET's East Campus.
Our well-equipped workshop facilities mirror real industry practice, using industry standard tools.
You will be taught by experienced teachers who have years of collective knowledge and industry experience between them. Our staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims.
You will also benefit from practical project work in the local community.
- Our new purpose-built construction centre will give you a unique training facility simulating a realistic environment
- Workshops are equipped with the full range of industry standard tools and machinery
- Online access to resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
We work closely with local businesses and maintain relationships with a wide range of employers. You will have the opportunity to undertake a minimum of 30 hours work experience, providing knowledge and experience of the workplace before progressing to employment.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
After Level 1, you can progress to Level 2 City & Guilds in Plumbing Studies, either full time or as an apprentice.
Future careers include:
- Self-employed plumber
- Heating engineer
- Hot and cold water systems designer
- Air-conditioning and refrigeration
- Site manager
Course fees and finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704