Sport | Level 3
Why this course?
If you're passionate about sport, studying at Brighton MET is a great was to learn how to earn money from the subject you love in the city you live in. Our Level 3 course offers coaching, fitness and therapy pathways so you can specialise in one or develop your abilities in all three. You can also study for a selected industry recognised qualifications, such as first aid and fitness instructing.
You will benefit from:
- Practical sessions and work experience placements
- Participation in a wide range of sports and physical activities
- On-site sports facilities
- Option to join the boxing academy
- Additional qualifications as part of the course
- Focus on employability and personal development
There is the opportunity to study Level 3 as a 2-year course completing the NCFE certificate in the first year and the NCFE diploma in the second year.
4 GCSEs grade 4 or above, including English and Maths
All 16-19 (full-time) courses require an application review meeting. This is a chance for us to talk through your choice of course and ensure it's right for you.
There are specific CEFR proficiency requirements for international students.
If you do not have the above grades then don't worry, we have options for you. You could start at Level 2 or, if you don't qualify for that, we have a Level 1 Get Started in Sport. Get Started courses enable you to progress onto Level 2 after completion.
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Preparing for a career in coaching, fitness or sports therapy
- Work experience
- Practical team sports
- Sports coaching / fitness instructing
- Coaching specific populations
- First Aid
- Work experience
Why the MET?
You will make good use of our on-campus sports hall, a fully-equipped free gym, boxing ring, astroturf and 3G pitches.
Brighton also has direct access to the South Downs and student deals at Boulder Brighton and Freedom Leisure Pools, Yellowave Beach Volleyball and Brighton Swimming Centre.
Our highly-skilled and motivated staff have a wealth of knowledge and experience in sport.
We have excellent links with local employers and sports clubs, providing amazing work experience and volunteering opportunities.
A large programme of enrichment activities are also available, including table tennis, badminton, recreational football, boxing, yoga, circuit training.
- Sports Hall, astroturf and 3G pitches
- Fully-equipped free gym and boxing ring
- Direct access to the South Downs
- Access to Yellowave beach volleyball and Brighton Swimming centre
- Off-site MET student deals at Boulder Brighton, Freedom Leisure Pools and The Gym
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
Brighton MET Sports Department works continuously to maintain and develop links with employers in the greater Brighton area. Students have been successfully placed with the following employers: The Gym, The Underground Gym, Yellow Wave, Freedom Leisure, Brighton and Hove City Council Leisure Department, The Sussex FA, Longhill Sports Centre, Brighton and Hove Albion, Football in the community, Ifield golf club, Moulsecoomb ABC, St Luke’s Primary School, Hove Junior School, Brighton Table Tennis Club and Splashpoint Leisure Centre.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
After this course
Upon successful completion of Year 1 of this course you can continue to Year 2.
After Year 2, you can move on to the MET's specialist part time course in Personal Training or sports coaching apprenticeships.
You could also continue your learning journey with university or HE college courses, such as Sport Science, Physical Education with PGCE, Sports Coaching, Football Studies, Sports Management, Athletic Training, Fitness and Personal Training, Strength and Conditioning, Nutrition Science or Sports/Leisure Management.
Alternatively you can progress to employment.
Future careers include:
- Sports official
- PE teacher
- Fitness instructor
- Personal trainer
- Pool/beach lifeguard
- Sports development officer
- Sports and leisure manager
- Community/youth coaching
- Disability and inclusion coaching
Cost & Finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704