Sport | NCFE Level 1
Why this course?
This Get Started in Sport courses is practical and fun and your stepping-stone to success. This is a re-engagement course—for some students this means a fresh start, for others a chance to get back into an educational mindset.
You will have the time and opportunity to focus on key social and life skills, while linking them to sport. Based around our on-campus sports facilities, this course prepares you for progression on to other sport courses at the MET.
Working in small classes, with the support of experienced tutors and teaching assistants, you will build your self-confidence and self-esteem. The Level 1 course will also boost your social skills and ability to get on with a variety of different people. Our friendly tutors will help you to develop your employability and offer guidance on your future training and career options.
You will benefit from:
- Practical sessions
- Participation in a wide range of sports and physical activities
- On-site sports facilities
- Additional qualifications as part of the course
- Focus on employability and personal development
Your study programme will also include some supported English and maths sessions and provide a first step towards gaining qualifications.
student Views Lucas Bradbury
The Level 1 sport course has made my start to college positive because I have met new mates and spent time with them in practicals. The practicals are fun and boost my confidence. The course leader has helped me get prepared for the next academic year (studying Level 2 sport) and helped me find work experience in the sport I love (table tennis). My other tutor has motivated me to become more determined and helped improve my skills in different sports. The LSAs are really supportive and give me great support which will help me improve my skills in college. I rate my first year a 10 out of 10. I'm progressing to Level 2 sport next academic year.
Start at Level 1 if you have at least 2 GCSEs at grade 2 (F) or above, preferably including English and Maths.
An interview with a course tutor will be required.
This course is suitable for students who, for many reasons, have not gained GCSEs. Perhaps you need to boost your confidence after a challenging time at school or maybe you just need some supported learning to help you on track to achieve your goals.
- Sports coaching
- Coaching principles and practices
- Teamwork and leadership
- Practical team sports
- Planning/delivering coaching and fitness sessions
- Developing sporting skills and tactical awareness
- Strength and conditioning training
Why the MET?
You will make good use of our on-campus sports hall, a fully-equipped free gym, boxing ring, astroturf and 3G pitches.
Brighton also has direct access to the South Downs and student deals at Boulder Brighton and Freedom Leisure Pools, Yellowave Beach Volleyball and Brighton Swimming Centre.
Our highly-skilled and motivated staff have a wealth of knowledge and experience in sport.
We have excellent links with local employers and sports clubs, providing amazing work experience and volunteering opportunities.
A large programme of enrichment activities are also available, including table tennis, badminton, recreational football, boxing, yoga, circuit training.
- Sports Hall, astroturf and 3G pitches
- Fully-equipped free gym and boxing ring
- Direct access to the South Downs
- Access to Yellowave beach volleyball and Brighton Swimming centre
- Off-site MET student deals at Boulder Brighton, Freedom Leisure Pools and The Gym
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
Brighton MET Sports Department works continuously to maintain and develop links with employers in the greater Brighton area. Students have been successfully placed with the following employers: The Gym, The Underground Gym, Yellow Wave, Freedom Leisure, Brighton and Hove City Council Leisure Department, The Sussex FA, Longhill Sports Centre, Brighton and Hove Albion, Football in the community, Ifield Golf Club, Moulsecoomb ABC, St Luke’s Primary School, Hove Junior School, Brighton Table Tennis Club and Splashpoint Leisure Centre.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
After this course
After Level 1 you can progress to our Level 2 course in Sport.
As one of the fastest growing sectors of employment in the UK, the sports industry offers a wide range of career opportunities to suit all individuals. The NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Sport opens the door to many career pathways.
Future careers include:
- Sports official
- PE teacher
- Fitness instructor
- Personal trainer
- Pool/beach lifeguard
- Sports development officer
- Sports and leisure manager
Course fees and finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
Course is free if you meet the following criteria
If you will be aged 19-23 when your course begins and you have not already achieved a full Level 2 or above, you may not have to pay any fees. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: email@example.com | 01273 667704.
Course is free if you meet the following criteria
You may not have to pay any fees if you will be aged 19 or over when you begin this course and:
- You are in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- OR you are receiving a means tested benefit, earning less than £343 per month (take home) if you are a sole claimant or £549 a month if you have a joint claim with your partner, and are completing the course to improve your employability
- OR if you are working and earn less than £17,004 per year (gross pay)
You will need to provide evidence and sign a declaration when you enrol.
If the above does not apply to you, you may still be eligible for a subsidised fee. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
You will be asked to purchase sports kit from our supplier, details will be given at the start of term. Some financial help may be available for this.