T Level | Construction: Design, Surveying & Planning | Level 3
Why this course?
Do you want to learn how the construction industry works?
This two-year T Level focuses on Design, Surveying and Planning in the construction and built environment sectors. It has been designed with employers to teach you core content knowledge and skills related to construction, design, surveying and planning, allowing you to progress to highly skilled employment.
You will learn about a range of construction topics, including principles of design, building technology, and business and commerce. With the construction industry always evolving, students will dive into the world of digital technology, innovation, and sustainability, to understand how the future industry will be shaped.
Your learning will cover a broad range of topics and practical skills. The learning mix is 50% practical and 50% theory, so that you can develop your skills in research, problem-solving, solution development, communication, and collaboration. Your practical learning will be designed so that you develop your experience with your occupational specialism.
The core content covers a whole range of topics related to the industry.
- Supporting knowledge
- Principles of design
- Structure of the construction industry
- Importance of sustainability
- Building technology
- Relationship management
- Digital technology
- Commercial/business principles
- Occupational Specialism
The T Level will include a minimum of 315 hours of learning on work experience placement. Our Industrial Placement Officers will help you link up with an employer and complete placements relevant to the qualification.
Across both years you will study core content. These modules include:
- Health and safety
- Science, measurement and building technology
- Information, data and digital technology
- Construction mathematical techniques
- Design and sustainability
- Construction and the built environment
- Relationship management, commercial business, project management and law.
Roughly 75% of your learning will be theory-based and this will develop your skills in research, problem-solving, solution development, communication, and collaboration. Your English, maths and digital skills will be important too, especially in this digital age. In one week you could produce sketches and drawings on industry-standard software, the next you could work in a group to produce a tender; then you might complete research for a mock court case, and then collect dimensional information from a site visit.
The T Level will include a minimum of 315 hours of learning on work experience placement. Our Industrial Placement Officers will help you link-up with an employer and complete work experience relevant to your interests.
What is next?
As a technical qualification will gain a T Level in Construction: Design, Surveying and Planning. It is intended for students who want to progress to a career in the construction sector, with a focus on Surveying and Design.
- You could progress onto a Level 4 qualification. At Brighton MET we offer a Higher National Certificate in Construction.
- The T Level qualification is recognised by university admissions and will give you UCAS points. You may want to pursue advanced study with the next step being a foundation degree or university degree.
Completing the T Level will allow a route into industry where you can further develop your skills and knowledge.
Job roles that this qualification will help you work towards could include:
- Graduate Management Traineeship
- Survey / Surveying Technician
- Architect or Architectural Technician
- Construction Design Coordinator
- Site, Project, Estate Management
- Property Development
- Site Planning and Coordination
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.