Post-16 Teacher Education | Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Certificate in Education
Why this course?
This two-year nationally recognised qualification, validated by the University of Brighton, is for people who are currently teaching/training in post-16 or who have 50 hours of such teaching/training confirmed for the coming academic year.
If you are interested in moving into teaching/training in this sector but have no teaching hours in place, then the Level 3 Award in Education and Training is appropriate.
This is a ‘blended’ course therefore not all sessions are delivered face to face.
This is an in-service qualification, although if you found a placement in order to study on this course, the qualification and experience gained would clearly help with securing employment. Successful applicants on the Cert Ed. course have the option of transferring to the part-time BA (Hons) Professional Education Studies at the end of the course.
Please note: This is a 2 year course. Fees stated below are per year.
- A degree
- A Level 2 qualification in English and maths at grade 4 (C) or above, or equivalent
- Teaching hours and a mentor in place
- Interview required
- Please complete a personal statement with your application (under 'My evidence' in the online application form).
There are five modules studied over two years focusing on teaching, learning and assessment. A range of effective teaching methods are covered and modelled, which you will put into practice in your observed sessions.
in Year 2 you have the opportunity to undertake an in-depth study of an aspect of your choice.
Why the MET?
Students on this course are enrolled at University of Brighton and at Brighton MET and therefore have access to facilities that both institutions provide for learners.
Our experienced teaching staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our Central Campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries, and the beach.
Facilities at Brighton MET
- Students on this course are also enrolled at University of Brighton and have access to facilities that both institutions provide for learners
- Access to quality teaching resources, rooms and studios
- Online access to course documents, resources and study support through the MET’s virtual learning environment
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés and coffee bars with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks