Performance & Production Arts | UAL Diploma/Extended Diploma in Performing Arts - Dance | Level 3
Why this course?
This course will develop your technical abilities, alongside creativity and artistry, in a range of dance and theatre skills. Based in our five dance studios, you will increase your skill base with a variety of genres, including ballet, contemporary, jazz and tap. You will also learn to research and analyse, enabling you to react creatively across diverse assignments. You will perform in our own professional theatre as well as other venues.
This Level 3 Diploma leads directly onto the second year, the Extended Diploma, where you will further develop your creative understanding and specialist skills, and gain the experience needed to progress to university, dance college or a theatre conservatoire.
To join this Level 3 course, you should have at least 4 GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, preferably including English and maths, and you will be asked to perform a dance solo at interview.
If you do not have the above grades, you can start on one of the MET's Level 2 courses such as Performance & Production Arts.
Course topics include:
- Engaging with an audience
- Critical and contextual awareness
- Collaborative performance and extended projects
Why this course at the MET?
- Five industry-standard dance studios
- Expert tutors with professional industry experience
- Perform in a professional theatre on campus
- Explore your talent and build confidence
- Fantastic links to the industry
- Close proximity to Brighton and London - both offering a wealth of theatre experiences.
Northbrook MET is highly regarded in the theatre industry as a provider of excellent training.
The MET's Theatre Arts department has a broad range of staff who are all practising artists and producers involved in the region's exciting theatre scene. Our staff are here help you realise your potential. Our experienced teaching staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Northbrook MET is the renowned creative facilities and atmosphere at our West Durrington Campus. The campus is a dedicated arts space, with the theatre courses running alongside music and art & design courses. You will collaborate with like-minded, passionate students and benefit from the various creative projects that take place, such as theatre shows, music gigs and art exhibitions. The campus is regularly used by professional creatives, which further highlights the quality of our industry-standard facilities.
Further study and careers
Following completion of the Diploma (year 1) you can progress to the Extended Diploma (year 2). On successful completion of the Extended Diploma, you could progress to a university-level course, either at the MET or at other universities, dance colleges or theatre conservatoires. Related degrees at Northbrook MET include Dance, Musical Theatre and Acting.
There are many options for you to choose at this stage in your studies and our expert staff and career advisers will help you to make the right decision, appropriate to your career goals.
- Performer (theatre, film, music videos, cruise ships, hotels, international tours)
- Theatre in education
- Dance teacher
- Fitness teacher
- Business owner
UK and EU students do not have to pay fees if they are under 19 on 31 August in the year they are studying. More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
Dancer or choreographer
- Builds and maintains stamina, physical strength, agility and general health through fitness exercises and healthy eating.
- Attends rehearsals to develop and practice dance routines for performance.
- Participates in dance performance.
- Demonstrates and directs dance moves, monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how improvements can be made.
- Active Listening
- Learning Strategies
- Active Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension