Theatrical Special Effects, Hair and Media Makeup | Level 3
Why this course?
On this Level 3 course, you'll develop your skills in theatrical and media make-up to prepare you for a career as a make-up artist in the creative industries.
Throughout this qualification, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy, physiology and health and safety. You will also develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to provide a wide range of creative make-up services in media, theatre, fashion and photographic settings. You will also style and fit hair pieces, apply false eyelashes as well as understanding the related cosmetic science that underpins the subject.
You'll also develop your communication and customer service skills, awareness of environmental sustainability and commercial skills, all of which are valued highly by employers. Problem solving and research skills will also be developed.
Our expert tutors have links with employers and industry and you will benefit from training in our brand new salon facilities (opened in 2021 as part of our multi-million-pound development of Central Brighton Campus). You'll provide treatments to paying customers, giving you real-world experience, which is vital for employment upon graduation.
Course tutor: Caroline Hand
alumni Views Angelique HendersonIt was a wonderful course and I learnt a lot of tips and tricks, Rebecca was a great tutor
Views Lauren BakerI have loved this course! it has allowed me to really explore my creativity and develop my skills as a hair and makeup artist. I have built a portfolio of work which will enable me to showcase my work when looking for work in the future. I can't wait to get out into industry and go to work.
Views Ella MclaffertyThe tutors are all really knowledgeable and supportive and I have really enjoyed my time here. I have many transferable skills now and different career options and am looking forward to seeing what the future brings.
You must have successfully completed the Level 2 Diploma in Hair & Media Makeup or another relevant subject.
In addition to the specified entry requirements, you may be required to undergo an assessment of your English skills to ensure you are at a sufficient level for your chosen course.
You will be expected to present yourselves in a professional manner, be polite and courteous. You will attend college wearing a uniform, with your hair up, nails cut short and free from varnish, and strictly no jewellery or facial jewellery is allowed. You will be expected to arrive punctual and attend all classes. These are all requirements of the awarding body.
- Health and safety in the salon
- Cosmetic make-up science
- Media make-up (character, special effects)
- Style and fit postiche
- Photographic make-up (period, bridal, fantasy, editorial, fashion)
- Anatomy and physiology for make-up services
- Airbrush make-up
- Cosmetic camouflage
- False eyelash application
- Style and dress hair in a variety of techniques
- Design visualisation
- Face and body art
- Service Portfolio (does not contribute to the overall qualification grade)
- Graded Practical Assessments (50% of qualification grade)
- Graded Synoptic Assessment (20% of qualification grade)
- External Examination (30% of qualification grade)
Mandatory units in this qualification are graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction.
Optional units are graded Fail/Pass.
The overall qualification is graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction.
- Our hair and beauty department offers brand new training facilities as part of our multi-million-pound development of Central Brighton Campus, which includes six hair & beauty salons and one state-of-the-art clinic
- Gain real-world training experience in our professional salon open to the public
- Use of high-end, industry branded equipment and products
- Additional training from external companies, such as Eve Taylor
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Our Hair and Beauty Department has very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students will have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position or making valuable contacts.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own business.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
During the make-up course you may experience trips or seminars with Kryolan, Mac and Bobbi Brown.
After Level 3, you could choose to develop your knowledge and skills further by completing a specialist qualification, or a Level 2 or 3 in hairdressing, barbering or beauty therapy.
Learners who achieve this qualification are eligible to become members of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) or Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT). As a specialist make-up artist, learners could progress directly into employment in a variety of contexts, including:
- Professional make-up artistry settings working with performers
- Theatre, film, print media and photographic studios
- Beauty and hair salons
- Independent, self-employed, mobile and home settings
- National Health Service
- Product manufacturing and training
You could also progress to our BA (Hons) Makeup and Hair for Theatre and Media degree at West Durrington Campus.
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: email@example.com | 01273 667704
You will need to purchase kit and uniform. The cost of this will be provided by the department following your application.