Beauty Therapy | VTCT Diploma in Theatrical Special Effects, Hair and Media Makeup | Level 3
Why this course?
Studying this Level 3 course at Brighton MET is fun, exciting and will leave you with the skills, confidence and experience to progress into employment or further your skills through study.
This qualification is based on the national occupational standards for theatrical and media make-up and includes the required elements to work effectively as a make-up artist in the creative industries.
Throughout this qualification, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy, physiology and health and safety. You will also develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to provide a wide range of creative make-up services in media, theatre, fashion and photographic settings. You will also style and fit hair pieces, apply false eyelashes as well as understanding the related cosmetic science that underpins the subject.
In parallel, you will develop your communication and customer service skills, awareness of environmental sustainability and commercial skills, all of which are valued highly by employers. Problem solving and research skills will also be developed.
The has a professional hair and beauty salon on campus. This provides a fantastic working and study environment for our students, who provide treatments to paying customers, giving them real-world experience, which is vital for employment upon graduation. Our expert tutors will give you the skills and confidence necessary for this varied and exciting industry.
Course tutor: Caroline Hand
alumni Views Angelique HendersonIt was a wonderful course and I learnt a lot of tips and tricks, Rebecca was a great tutor
Views Lauren BakerI have loved this course! it has allowed me to really explore my creativity and develop my skills as a hair and makeup artist. I have built a portfolio of work which will enable me to showcase my work when looking for work in the future. I can't wait to get out into industry and go to work.
Views Ella MclaffertyThe tutors are all really knowledgeable and supportive and I have really enjoyed my time here. I have many transferable skills now and different career options and am looking forward to seeing what the future brings.
- Health and safety in the salon
- Cosmetic make-up science
- Media make-up (character, special effects)
- Style and fit postiche
- Photographic make-up (period, bridal, fantasy, editorial, fashion)
- Anatomy and physiology for make-up services
- Airbrush make-up
- Cosmetic camouflage
- False eyelash application
- Style and dress hair in a variety of techniques
- Design visualisation
- Face and body art
- Service Portfolio (does not contribute to the overall qualification grade)
- Graded Practical Assessments (50% of qualification grade)
- Graded Synoptic Assessment (20% of qualification grade)
- External Examination (30% of qualification grade)
- Grading Mandatory units in this qualification are graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction
- Optional units are graded Fail/Pass
- The overall qualification is graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction
- Professional standard beauty and hairdressing salons open to the general public, providing a realistic working environment
- Use of high-end, industry branded equipment and products
- Additional training from external companies, such as Eve Taylor
- Library and computing facilities
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
- Cafés with a wide range of reasonably priced meals, snacks and drinks
Why the MET?
You will have access to professional commercial areas and a salon with paying customers giving you the real-world experience highly valued by employers.
Professional kits with high-quality products are available, as well as strong industry and employer links, external trips, guest speakers and product training.
Our experienced teaching staff are passionate about their areas of expertise and are committed to helping you to attain your learning goals and meet your personal aims.
Without a doubt, one of the reasons we know you will love studying at Brighton MET is the location of our central campus. Right in the heart of Brighton’s world-famous North Laine, the College is within walking distance of all the city’s main amenities – the award-winning city library, the independent shops and eateries and the beach.
Our Beauty Department has very strong links with local employers, many of whom started their own careers at Brighton MET.
All of our students will have an opportunity to undertake work experience, which often leads to gaining a permanent position or making valuable contacts.
We hold an annual careers day where local, national and international employers will come and give seminars. This will give you valuable information and advice about progression opportunities and setting up your own business.
We also hold training days, trips to trade shows and have guest speakers to keep all of your training and knowledge current and up to date.
During the make-up course you may experience trips or seminars with Kryolan, Mac and Bobbi Brown.
After Level 3, you could choose to develop your knowledge and skills further by completing a specialist qualification, or a Level 2 or 3 in hairdressing, barbering or beauty therapy.
Learners who achieve this qualification are eligible to become members of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) or Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT). As a specialist make-up artist, learners could progress directly into employment in a variety of contexts, including:
- Professional make-up artistry settings working with performers
- Theatre, film, print media and photographic studios
- Beauty and hair salons
- Independent, self-employed, mobile and home settings
- National Health Service
- Product manufacturing and training
On successful completion of this course you may like to consider progressing onto the following courses:
- FdA Theatre Arts (Make-up & Hair for Theatre & Media)
- Level 2 / 3 Hairdressing
- Level 2 / 3 Barbering
- Level 2 / 3 Beauty therapy
- Level 2 African Caribbean Hair
Fees & additional costs
UK and EU students do not have to pay fees if they are under 19 on 31 August in the year they are studying. More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here.
For the full price course fee, please contact our admissions team.
You will need to purchase kit and uniform. Cost TBC.