Sport | Level 2
Why this course?
If you’re passionate about sport, studying at Brighton MET is a great way to learn how to earn money from the subject you love in the city you live in. Our sport programmes will improve your subject knowledge and help you to master the skills you will need to gain employment. Based around our on-campus sports facilities, this course prepares you for a wide range of careers in the fast-growing sports and leisure sector.
Our industry-experienced teachers combine theory and practical learning, whether you're interested in coaching, fitness training, leisure management, sport therapies or one of the many other exciting roles in the sector.
You will benefit from:
- Practical sessions and work experience placements
- Participation in a wide range of sports and physical activities
- On-site sports facilities
- Option to join the boxing academy
- Additional qualifications as part of the course
- Focus on employability and personal development
Start at Level 2 if you have at least 3 GCSEs at grade 3 (D/E) or above, including English and Maths.
If you do not have the above grades, you can start on the Level 1 course or the Sport and public Services pathway course.
An interview with a course tutor will be required.
- Coaching principles and practices
- Teamwork and leadership
- Practical team sports
- Planning/delivering coaching and fitness sessions
Why the MET?
- You will make good use of our on-campus sports hall, a fully-equipped free gym, boxing ring, astroturf and 3G pitches
- Brighton also has direct access to the South Downs and student deals at Boulder Brighton and Freedom Leisure Pools, Yellowave Beach Volleyball and Brighton Swimming Centre
- Our highly-skilled and motivated staff have a wealth of knowledge and experience in sport
- We have excellent links with local employers and sports clubs, providing amazing work experience and volunteering opportunities
- A large programme of enrichment activities are also available, including table tennis, badminton, recreational football, boxing, yoga, circuit training
- Sports Hall, astroturf and 3G pitches
- Fully-equipped free gym and boxing ring
- Direct access to the South Downs
- Access to Yellowave beach volleyball and Brighton Swimming centre
- Off-site MET student deals at Boulder Brighton, Freedom Leisure Pools and The Gym
- Access to the MET’s student services, including career advice and additional learning support
Brighton MET Sports Department works continuously to maintain and develop links with employers in the greater Brighton area. Students have been successfully placed with the following employers: The Gym, The Underground Gym, Yellow Wave, Freedom Leisure, Brighton and Hove City Council Leisure Department, The Sussex FA, Longhill Sports Centre, Brighton and Hove Albion, Football in the community, Ifield Golf Club, Moulsecoomb ABC, St Luke’s Primary School, Hove Junior School, Brighton Table Tennis Club and Splashpoint Leisure Centre.
Brighton MET is keen to offer our students work experience placements, particularly with the increasing importance for students to complete placements as part of their study programmes across all industry areas.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers and students alike to gain something valuable with long term benefits for the business and for students.
After this course
After Level 2 you can progress to our Level 3 Diploma in Sport & Physical Activity. This is a 2 year course with the option to choose a Coaching or Fitness pathway.
The course also provides opportunities for students to progress to study sports apprenticeships with local companies.
As one of the fastest growing sectors of employment in the UK, the sports industry offers a wide range of career opportunities to suit all individuals. The NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Sport opens the door to many career pathways.
Future careers include:
- Sports official
- PE teacher
- Fitness instructor
- Personal trainer
- Pool/beach lifeguard
- Sports development officer
- Sports and leisure manager
Cost & Finance
This course is free (you do not have to pay fees) if:
- You are a UK citizen, hold EU Settlement Status or have a visa which could qualify you for home status.
- AND you are under 19 on 31 August in the year you are studying.
More information about fees for college courses and financial support for 16-19 year olds can be found here. Please speak to our Admissions team if you have any further queries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01273 667704
Course is free if you meet the following criteria
You may not have to pay any fees if you will be aged 19 or over when you begin this course and:
- You are in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- OR you are receiving a means tested benefit, earning less than £343 per month (take home) if you are a sole claimant or £549 a month if you have a joint claim with your partner, and are completing the course to improve your employability
- OR if you are working and earn less than £17,004 per year (gross pay)
You will need to provide evidence and sign a declaration when you enrol.
If the above does not apply to you, you may still be eligible for a subsidised fee. For more information, please speak to our Admissions team: email@example.com | 01273 667704